News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ming Dynasty Buddha figure found in Australia

Started by Duncan Head, March 09, 2023, 09:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark G

Stolen by one of those early ancestors, no doubt.

It's genetic, so we shouldn't be too hard on them

Ian61

Quote from: Duncan Head on March 09, 2023, 09:15:03 AMhttps://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/mar/09/ming-dynasty-buddha-statue-found-on-western-australia-beach-wa-could-it-rewrite-history

Left by Zheng He's fleet in 1421? Probably not ...
I saw this on TV the other day. I don't think it proves anything other than people moved about a lot more than official records show and that they lost stuff as they went. I have read 1421, the book by Gavin Menzies and I thought that there was a lot of work put into it and interesting snippets but he was overegging it somewhat and trying to prove a thing by making all sorts of odd facts fit his very fixed ideas/hypothesis about which he appears to have been certain at the start.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Jim Webster

The Australians are now in deep trouble. The statue  doubtless proves that Australia was initially discovered and settled by the Chinese and they want it back
The best defence is to claim that it was looted from Peking by a British Soldier who then settled in Australia. So they just send it back with a letter of apology
History just rewrites itself as it goes along  ;D

Mark G

No one will believe that story.
Now, admitting some Aussie rascal stole it on his overseas experience, that would be believable