News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Little Battles 2023

Started by dwkay57, May 06, 2023, 09:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkay57

A late start to the 2023 campaign season but the first battle has been fought and its story (fairly short) is below.

The Deceangli (a new Celtic army) took on the Persian Satrap of Longawayoff (whose troops needed dusting off) on a battlefield that featured a river running through it.

Longer report for those tired of flag waving on my website.
David

dwkay57

As that battle finished fairly quickly, I just had time for the second-leg. So, the sides changed ends and another battle was fought. Report on my website for those who want more pictures of the defiant camels.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on May 11, 2023, 09:37:51 AMAs that battle finished fairly quickly, I just had time for the second-leg. So, the sides changed ends and another battle was fought. Report on my website for those who want more pictures of the defiant camels.

I enjoyed both accounts, and did wonder whether the battlefield was the real winner. Certainly I felt the Celts were on a hiding to nothing trying to cross on a narrow front into enemy missile fire, but then the river also ensured that when the Persians tried to cross, they outran their missile support.
Be interesting to see what happens if there was no river :)

Imperial Dave

as always, great to read David
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

You may be right young Jim. I originally planned to have the river much nearer the far baseline which would have given the Celts a bit more of a chance. However, they didn't deploy their best warbands near enough to any of the crossings for them to get close before the Persians arrived. Both sides seemed to suffer from not co-ordinating their various troop types - bad generalship!

At some point both sides will probably meet again on a different pitch. I may also try that pitch with a couple of heavy infantry armies (e.g. Greeks, Romans) to see how they get on.
David

dwkay57

First encounter of the year of Greeks v Persians. The Greeks had a surprisingly good force of cavalry (well it was  Thessaly) which gave them a few different options to either exploit or not, as the case was.

Battle highlights in the attachment, with a more extended version on my website.
David

Imperial Dave

Drat those Persians...nicereport asever David
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Just like buses, the reports roll up in groups.

This time more of a scenario to allow yet more Persians take on my latest Roman legion.

Short report for coffee breaks attached. Full highlights on my website for those not packing for the holidays.
David

dwkay57

The inevitable Greek alliance takes on the inevitable historically inappropriate opponent. But it did make for a good match up.

Short report attached, longer report for when rain stops play at Wimbledon available on my website
David

dwkay57

Despite what I told Young Jim, Tigranes the Lesser - my Armenian general - went north-west for his first battle with his completed army and took on my Trinovantes. With lots of Barbarians and Irregulars - plus allied corps - on both sides, I didn't expect original battle plans to last for long!
David

Imperial Dave

good battle report and the layout is easy to follow
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

In what was as near as a historical match up you are likely to get from me... well, OK they were both Greeks from roughly the same period... well, ok they both had lots of hoplites.

Longer report for those trying to avoid the bank holiday queues (in the UK at least) on my website.
David

Jon Freitag

David, can you remind me of your website again?
Thanks.

dwkay57

David

Jon Freitag

Thank you!  I thought I bookmarked it earlier but your latest post did not come up in my feed.