News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Cilician Armenian alliances with Muslim states

Started by nikgaukroger, May 30, 2023, 07:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikgaukroger

I have been looking at the (often complex) alliances between states in and around Outremer and have so far not been able to pin down any between the Armenians of Cilicia and a/some Muslim states. I note that the DBMM army lists have them allowed as allies for the Syrian Muslim states (any of them in fact, which I must confess feels a bit suspect) so assume that is based on something.

Wondering if anyone can help. I may have missed something blindingly obvious  :P
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

DBS

Of the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is the attempt by Vasil Dgha to use Bursuqi of Mosul to eliminate the Frankish presence in 1114.  But that is a rather minor and very specific incident by one regional prince, not the true Cilician kingdom, and I am not sure that any combined forces even took the field.
David Stevens

kadeshuk

Danishmend allies are what I recall from doing the To The Strongest list.

nikgaukroger

Quote from: DBS on May 31, 2023, 10:37:52 PMOf the top of my head, the only thing I can think of is the attempt by Vasil Dgha to use Bursuqi of Mosul to eliminate the Frankish presence in 1114.  But that is a rather minor and very specific incident by one regional prince, not the true Cilician kingdom, and I am not sure that any combined forces even took the field.

As I recall there was no true kingdom until the back end of the C12th, but I'm not worried about that, any Armenians of the period will do  ;D
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

nikgaukroger

Quote from: kadeshuk on June 01, 2023, 06:59:43 PMDanishmend allies are what I recall from doing the To The Strongest list.

Found a couple of cases where the Rum Seljuqs (probably) fought with Armenians, but haven't really looked at the Danishmendids (yet).

Justin Swanton

Quote from: nikgaukroger on June 01, 2023, 08:01:47 PMFound a couple of cases where the Rum Seljuqs (probably) fought with Armenians, but haven't really looked at the Danishmendids (yet).
Those Seljuqs were a rum lot.