News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Philistines 1100 - 732 BC

Started by bobbymack, June 22, 2023, 08:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbymack

Is it just me or do others believe that the Philistines were dressed more akin to the other near-east states of the time such as the Assyrians and Hebrews and with standard helemts etc. rather than the earlier Peleset with the reed headress or whatever it was? We probably don't know if there is no evidence but it seems more logical that they were dressed as their contempories rather than in a fashion from hundreds of years previous. I wish there were manufacturers in 15mm making such figures rather than trying to palm me off with  Peleset Sea Peoples. I will have to use early neo-Assyrian figures with round shields I suppose.
Any other views?

Ian61

I suppose it depends what you are trying to do. If you want to have Philistines from after the time they were the invading sea people's then I suspect they would look increasingly like their neighbours seeing they were around for half a millennium or so.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Duncan Head

There are Philistine anthropoid coffins with headdresses reminiscent of the Sea Peoples. This page suggests 11th century, so Sea People headgear may be OK for the early part of the "Philistine" period.

Otherwise I don't know of any hard evidence except for the various interpretations of Goliath's gear - which of course does include a bronze helmet, and an iron spear.
Duncan Head

DBS

Since I am exclusively 6mm, no real idea as to what is available in 15mm, but it might be worth looking at even classical period ranges as I suspect that one could find a number of plausible options with bare legs, tunic, round shield, bare head which it would be difficult to say were completely wrong for generic Philistines. 

I do not know whether there are archaic Greeks, or early Cypriot or Phoenician figures available, but again, they might be worth consideration, as I suspect external influences may have been fairly strong looking west, rather than towards the Assyrians.
David Stevens

Swampster

The Phoenecian terracottas from a bit later show rather more eastern than western influence, and I dare say they had similar influences to the Philistines.
There are, though, suggestions that the name Goliath may be related to a Lydian and a Carian name - this may simply be down to a common(ish) past but it could be used to excuse a bit more western influence.

DBS

Well, the Phoenicians did have to cope with pesky Assyrian encroachment and eventual overlordship.  All I am suggesting is that, in terms of arms and armour, as likely for it to arrive by sea to a coastal civilisation as for it to come overland from the northeast.  Especially if one wants to differentiate slightly one's Philistines from historical opponents.  And given the possible Aegean heritage of the Philistines...
David Stevens

bobbymack

I think Essex Assyrian Hupshu medium infantry is the best bet for the rank and file and the later Assyrian heavy infantry with armour for the elite units.

stevenneate

I'm sure there is not one "look" for Philistines. Tunic, kilt, helmet, shield - I'm sure anything went for the fashionable Philistine of the day. Guard unit(s) may be the only exception. There are several Mid Assyrian and Canaanite 15mm ranges available.