News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

early Spanish and Portuguese raids in north & west Africa

Started by CarlL, June 25, 2023, 08:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlL

I am wanting to build DBA Portuguese & Spanish forces for early colonial wars in Africa, like the Spanish actions in Morocco and Portuguese activity on River Senegal and River Niger.
Unfortunately DBA list IV / 68, Medieval Spanish & Portuguese 1340-1515AD excludes these colonial forces. I realise I may be straying into 'DBR' territory but feel the DBA version 3 rules should cover these early colonial forays.  Are there any lists or other reading that you can recommend?

For example, I have a copy of 2nd edition of "Irregular Wars" which has many similarities to DBA. This rule set has a Colonial Spanish and Colonial Portuguese forces.

Their Spanish list has Hidalgos, (colonial nobility), as the stronger elements possibly men at arms, (3Kn) or (3Bd); with 'armed mobs' from civilian colonists, so possibly (5Hd) or (7Hd) with improvised weapons. These could be 2 and 3 of the 12 element force. Their list allows for creation (or hire of mercenary) militias of pikes and shot but probably a maximum of 2x (3Pk) or (4Pk) with 1x handgunners / arquebusiers, possibly 2Ps. [Possibly an element of crossbows replacing or in addition to the handgunners?] Their list also includes gunpowder artillery, so at least 1x (element) of (Art). This would give 9 elements, with other elements drawn from 'local' allies or mercenaries like Berbers in north Africa (lie the Islamic Berber list) or local warriors in West Africa (like the West Sudanese army list).

Their Portuguese list notes reliance on armed slaves and colonial adventurers who would capture and enslave local populations as slave soldiers. Their list suggests small presence of European nobles and adventurers, 'Fidalgos' and 'Bandeirantes' so possibly 1x (3Kn/4Bd) and 1x (3Bd). The slave troops could be (5Hd) or (7Hd) or possibly (Sp) or (3Pk). There might be as many as 6 elements from these last types; with nearly as many armed with handguns / arquebus (Ps) or crossbows (4Cb/Ps) or local native troops like archers in West Africa (Ps or 3Bw or 4Bw).

All 'hypothetical' as not based on historical research of any one raid or expedition in North or West Africa just on reading likes of army lists; as my starting point!! Apologies to all with a serious interest or knowledge or both as it may seem I am in danger of trivialising an important period in both Islamic African history and in the history of cultures in sub Saharan Africa; besides the history of the Portuguese and Spanish.

CarlL

Jim Webster

I did get interested in the slightly later period, so probably 'properly DBR' :-)

But it is a fascinating period. I think we have to remember that, in period, the term 'slave soldier' could have different connotations for people in Africa. If you were to substitute the work Mameluke, Ghilman, or perhaps Ghulam, it might give you a better feel for the sort of troops you got. I'm not arguing that they were elite horsemen, but they might well feel that they had entered into 'a more honourable estate' than merely being a slave.

Duncan Head

Quote from: CarlL on June 25, 2023, 08:51:26 PM[Possibly an element of crossbows replacing or in addition to the handgunners?]

Crossbows are certainly prominent in the 1470 tapestries of the siege of Asilah.

At least in North Africa, you are going to want some jinetes as well (in DBA LH, or possibly Cv if armoured). Interesting discussion here.

Have you seen the relevant Osprey?
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on June 26, 2023, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: CarlL on June 25, 2023, 08:51:26 PM[Possibly an element of crossbows replacing or in addition to the handgunners?]

Crossbows are certainly prominent in the 1470 tapestries of the siege of Asilah.

At least in North Africa, you are going to want some jinetes as well (in DBA LH, or possibly Cv if armoured). Interesting discussion here.

Have you seen the relevant Osprey?

I would recommend it

CarlL

Thank you Duncan and Jim.  Great links. And WOW what a tapestry!!

I will follow up on Osprey and any others. The "trade and treachery" site points to others. I have a Spanish history of their actions in Morocco (in Spanish) and in past I have translated badly (via likes of wen translators and Spanish English dictionary) parts regarding my interest in the modern Rif Wars.

I used 'slave' as it appeared (as in other society's like the Mameluke and Ghulam or the Sudanese of Egypt right up to late 1890s) they were abducted or sold as slaves to their military life. In other societies, including the Western Sudanic city states, the slave soldier could rise in wealth and status through their military career, while remaining a slave of their sovereign or in Portuguese colonies their white masters. So 'slave' soldiers are not same as bad soldiers, and like the serfs of Czarist Russia they may have been stubborn soldiers. However this is bit generalised. I was just denoting their origins.

CarlL

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Erpingham

I revisited "War in the Iberian Peninsular 700-1600", as I knew it had a subsection on Portugese overseas actions.  Not enough detail probably to be much use on the period around the society's area, rather more on the period 1550 on.  There is some stuff on the campaigns in Morocco in the 1510s, which are quite European in style, with Swiss, regular infantry companies, cavalry and artillery.  The slightly later bits on actions in Africa suggest an empasis on shooting (handguns mainly but also crossbows).  Handgunners were equipped for melee with spear and shield, with a slave to carry the weapons they weren't using.  Apparently they favoured massed volleys, followed by a charge. Representing this troop type under the rules may be interesting.

CarlL

Thank you Anthony (and again Duncan) for your input.
Great stuff
CarlL

CarlL

thank you Duncan,
I got a S/H hardback copy on Abebooks. Really looks good.
Info on contents here https://www.pritzkermilitary.org/explore/library/online-catalog/view/oclc/867929196

Kindle copies from £3.99 on Amazon and £4.99 at Pen & Sword, for latter see
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Bringers-of-War-Kindle/p/6234

Thanks again Duncan.
CarlL

Erpingham

This is the only diagram from the early period, from the Portugese Moroccan campaign.  Not much detail though.

You cannot view this attachment.

Although it gives the infantry numbers, the cavalry numbers are missing.  The text says there were 3,000 altogether, so perhaps six squadrons of 500?

CarlL

Cheers Anthony.
Diagram suggests square / Tercio like approach, perhaps fearing Moroccan / Berber cavalry.
CarlL

Erpingham

I've just spotted this blog post by Steven Thomas, which seems very informative about sub-Saharan campaigns and armies, and gives some more books to look out for.

CarlL

CarlL

"Steven's Balagan" blog, provides interesting insight into central African warfare, in the (European) 15th to 17th centuries; much of the information is similar to events in Western Sudanic kingdoms at similar period (and later).
I wonder how longstanding and traditional these descriptions of warfare could be? (Again thinking back to my limited reading about Western Sudanic warfare, it seems possible that the traditions described could have persisted for one or two millennia.)
The two coloured paintings / drawings of the appearance of Africans (by European artists) are interesting and suggest longevity of dress styles between 15th and 19th centuries in central African kingdoms. But it is only two examples. So again leads me to think they may also suggest appearance of earlier warriors and their camp followers.
CarlL

Erpingham

Given the plain and simple clothing, it could be very widespread in geography and time.  My caution would be whether the artist was working from descriptions rather than having seen these folks in the flesh.  There is a distinct absence of the decoration of later warriors (headdresses, feathers, body art).  Also, unfortunately, we don't have an example of shield shape.  In terms of longevity, certainly there had been change relatively recently politically in the Zimbabwe/Angola area, and predominant types may have shifted.  Also, I know nothing about Arab military activity in the area, though they certainly traded and enslaved in the area.