News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Andalusian Arabs Standards - Any Ideas?

Started by vexillia, July 15, 2023, 11:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vexillia

So far I've used Siffin as my source for banners etc. 

I'm now doing a few bits for Arab armies further afield and a touch later.  I'm currently doing some Black Guard for the above and I'm in need of a flag.

All I know is the the Umayyads in Spain used a green standard and a plain green flag will be my fallback option.

Before I do this does anyone have any further information or inspirational pictures.

Thanks.

Swampster

THis may wel be too late for you, but if you are going as late as the 12th-13th centuries, there's the Navas de Tolosa banner (though I'm sure I read a theory that it was a wall hanging for a tent rather than a banner).
The Conquest of Mallorca frescos have some https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/the-conquest-of-mallorca-detail-of-a-fresco-painted-by-an-news-photo/152204090 though these may be from Spanish imagination. At least one is very similar to the Navas de T. banner which could be a common usage or could be the artist using the previously captured one for inspiration. The zig-zag style also appears in the Cantigas de Santa Maria - common actual source?

This has a couple of other bits and pieces for the African dynasties who were involved in Spain https://en.yabiladi.com/articles/details/84867/white-other-stars-different-flags.html The chequerboard pattern is very fetching.
I wish I had seen the bit about different coloured flags before doing my Almoravids.

Duncan Head

The attached is a good pic of the Navas de Tolosa banner that Peter mentioned.

There is an article here on flags taken at Salado in the 14th century.
Duncan Head

Jon Freitag

What about this? 

At least one of my units carries this banner but not sure if I flagged the Black Guard with it.

Jon Freitag

Another version of the banner Duncan mentions.

Duncan Head

Duncan Head

Jon Freitag

Well, desperate times call for desperate measures...

Duncan Head

I wondered if they were sponsoring your army in return for publicity!
Duncan Head

Jon Freitag

Sponsorship?  The army could use a cash infusion.

Duncan Head

This page might be useful, too: note the flag in the second McBride painting.
Duncan Head

vexillia

Ian61

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 15, 2023, 06:12:54 PMThis page might be useful, too: note the flag in the second McBride painting.

Great multifunction as in the evening they can even play chess on it. ;)

There are of course a number of flags/ coats of arms that use chequerboards - effective if done well. This sits well with the architecture behind that looks rather Alhambran - the palace sports many highly geometric patterns with highly contrasting colours.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

vexillia

What I have so far is:

You cannot view this attachment.

I will work on better colours etc. The tails on the yellow version are too fiddly for 15 mm.  Final version to appear on my blog.

I think the Moroccan is too late for what I'm after.

vexillia

Infantry versions:

Cavalry with matching colour:

vexillia

And a Moroccan version: