News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Dacian skirmishers

Started by Martin Smith, September 02, 2023, 11:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Smith

Dacian skirmishers:
A query popped up while looking at acquiring/reworking a Dacian army (II/52) for DBA.

My copy of Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome (Phil Barker, 4th Ed., 1981) shows Dacian troop infantry types as javelinmen with medium-large oval shields, falx wielders and archers. However, the DBA v3 army list (2014) for Dacians lists the skirmish foot (Ps) as 'javelinmen'.

Has there been a change of thinking about Dacian skirmishers, from bowmen to javelin armed? I don't have the DBM or DBMM lists with me, so cannot check if the 'big army' lists changed.

Any input appreciated.
Martin
u444

Andreas Johansson

FWIW, the DBMM list has Dacian skirmishers as archers, and the men with javelins as Warband.

The Bastarnae, sharing the same list, have both archers and javelinmen as Psiloi.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Martin Smith

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on September 02, 2023, 11:22:49 AMFWIW, the DBMM list has Dacian skirmishers as archers, and the men with javelins as Warband.

The Bastarnae, sharing the same list, have both archers and javelinmen as Psiloi.

Thanks, Andreas 👍
Martin
u444

gavindbm

The Mortem et Gloriam army lists have both archers and javelinmen - they are available online at https://mortem-et-gloriam.co.uk/meg/army-lists/