News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

What rules are people using now?

Started by Persia, September 07, 2023, 02:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Wrg 6th is still my favourite if flawed ruleset
Slingshot Editor

simonw

Good rules; certainly for for their day and up to a certain size but not really for big battles. Tactica 2 armies might easily have 20 units on each side. WRG6th could cope with up to a dozen but even then it could be very slow. Fewer than 10 was preferable.

Imperial Dave

Which is why I am tinkering with OBG currently. Reminds me of 6th but very simple and uses units
Slingshot Editor

Persia

I just received the ADLG rules yesterday and browsed through them just now. They look really good. I like that they have javelin shooting and units.

I got the DBMM rules and lists the other week and quite like them too, so will have to try both with various armies and see what I think.

Imperial Dave

Worthwhile comparing and contrasting several sets to see what works best for you personally
Slingshot Editor

CarlL

"Persia"
given you note "I like that they have javelin shooting and units."
then I suggest using Armati2 or Tactica, as these rules include this and other fun features, while giving you a game you can finish in a few hours without the tables and factors headache of likes of ADLG which from my limited experience (and IMHO) can fail to give a game outcome in an evening...
CarlL

Chilliarch

Ancients-wise, our club play a heavily modified (by myself) version of DBA 3 for ancients and medieval. But then we're only a small club of friends. :)

Orc65

Erpingham

Quote from: Orc65 on September 27, 2023, 12:43:51 AMShock of Impact

A blast from the past.  I'd thought they were long extinct.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on September 27, 2023, 10:56:11 AMStill got mine  :)

I expect no less from a dedicated rule collector  :) But when did you last play them?

Imperial Dave

Ah...erm.....Michael Foot was erm....er
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on September 27, 2023, 11:03:12 AMAh...erm.....Michael Foot was erm....er

For overseas members and those under 50, Michael Foot was Labour Party leader at the beginning of the 1980s  :)

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Erpingham on September 27, 2023, 11:13:44 AMFor overseas members and those under 50, Michael Foot was Labour Party leader at the beginning of the 1980s  :)
Thanks, Anthony.  Since many of the fellas I game with remotely are UK based, cultural references have to be explained to me regularly.  Otherwise, the jokes, puns, and slams go right over my head.

Imperial Dave

For our American cousins....

Ah....erm....Walter Mondale was...erm
Slingshot Editor