News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

What rules are people using now?

Started by Persia, September 07, 2023, 02:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orc65

Quote from: Erpingham on September 27, 2023, 10:29:18 AM
Quote from: Orc65 on September 27, 2023, 12:43:51 AMShock of Impact

A blast from the past.  I'd thought they were long extinct.

I bought a copy years ago and they've just been sitting on my shelf. I thought it's about time I used them.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Orc65

Imperial Dave

Feels like a bucket list moment. ::)
Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Not using as such but delving into Blood of Ancients ruleset for review purposes
Slingshot Editor

Persia

Quote from: CarlL on September 23, 2023, 07:31:07 PM"Persia"
given you note "I like that they have javelin shooting and units."
then I suggest using Armati2 or Tactica, as these rules include this and other fun features, while giving you a game you can finish in a few hours without the tables and factors headache of likes of ADLG which from my limited experience (and IMHO) can fail to give a game outcome in an evening...
CarlL

I have a copy of Armati, but haven't really delved into it so far.

CarlL

Persia,

if / when you delve into Armati there is lots of material around even the old articles in Slingshot would help even though they were written for 1st edition the many core ideas (like forming battles / divisions, shooting, melee, evading and movement) remain same in 2nd edition; as does the idea of playing with units which have a hit life value, (eg 4 for HI, and each lost shooting event or melee phase removes a hit till unit is destroyed) and forming units into either singe or multi unit 'divisions' (groups).

Enjoy your rules perusals. Hopefully you are getting to play some games too.
CarlL

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

stevenneate

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

stevenneate

Armati is a lame duck in Melbourne - I've never seen it used here.

ADLG is the predominant gaming set for pick-up games from what I've seen.