News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Iranian Dark Age Shields

Started by vexillia, September 18, 2023, 04:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vexillia

I'm painting the latest unit for one of my Arab Conquest variant armies.  They are Iranian bow armed heavy cavalry.  The figures are from Forged in Battle.  They have a variety of different sized shields and I'm in need of inspiration for the largest ones.

Any pointers as to colours, patterns, or designs would be most welcome.  If possible I am looking to add some colour to an otherwise monotone army.  Links to painted examples most welcome. 

Thanks.

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

There's the shield on the Taq-e-Bustan relief, with a sort of solar pattern, and the shields from the Kulagysh dish; but of course no coloir on either of those.

There are a few Sogdian shields on the Penjikent murals, notably this scene of charging cavalry. And of course the Mount Mugh shield if you fancy an artistic challenge.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

DBS

Although I don't worry about patterns on 6mm shields, my Sassanians have a liberal use of greens for both shields and clothing.  It was supposedly the colour associated with the god Mihr, and the Islamic authors have legends about mystical Persian armies in green coming to the rescue of Shahs, especially when squabbling with the Hepthalites and others.  Of course, it may all be an overblown or overgeneralised trope but good enough for me.  Red and white are also thought to have had some symbolism, IIRC - I think red was supposedly linked with warriors, whilst white might have had some sort of royal connotation, but I do not have my source immediately to hand, and again I think it is more from post-conquest Islamic authors trying to interpret Zoroastrian traditions.
David Stevens