News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

historical scenario for Ancient British vs Romans?

Started by Paul Hodson, January 02, 2024, 10:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hodson

Dear all, I'm new on the forum and look forward to joining in. I am a gamer more than a historian, playing mostly DBA and Infamy Infamy (as well as board wargames).

My question for today: can anyone point me to a historical scenario for an Ancient British vs Roman battle, other than Mons Graupius?

Paul H

Mark G

Well Mons graupius was the caledones not the British, so your starting at -1 already.

The main one would be related to Boudicca .  With a new Netflix out, there might be some more interest there.  But I've not really seen scenarios.  TBH I grab an Osprey and use the numbers and maps there to make my own, and then play it a few times to tweak the troops until it feels winnable for each side.

I don't recall a battle day set in that period - but we do have the Sambre from Caesar that might be worth a look.

Erpingham

Welcome Paul.  Not my period but I did recall Chris Hahn did one of his in-depth refight pieces on the climactic battle of the Boudiccan revolt.  See http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=6723.0

Martin Smith gave a scenario for One Hour Wargames of Battle of Medway .  That might be adaptable to DBA. See http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=169.msg68092#msg68092

Imperial Dave

welcome to the forum and it is always nice to see new contributors here.

The ones mentioned above by Anthony would be good points to start with

At the risk of getting all misty eyed there was a nice piece on Maiden Castle and the associated military information to do with the Roman Invasion by a certain Tony Bath back in Slingshot Issue 1.
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Besides Mons Graupius (84AD) and Boudicca (61AD), in Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome there are the battles of Medway (43AD) and Caradoc (51AD) listed. And there was of course J Caesar's initial beach landing which may have been a fight.

I've used interpretations of the Mons Graupius and Boudicca terrain as the pitches for a couple of my 6mm battles (but not Romans v Britons though).
David