News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Fourth Battle of Lake Trasimene

Started by Jon Freitag, February 20, 2024, 06:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Freitag

Yet another replaying of this battle with a different foursome of players and a much different result.

Full battle report at 4th Trasimene
Getting some good mileage out of this battle with more refights on the docket.

Imperial Dave

must be time to buy some scuba gear then?
Slingshot Editor

Keraunos

More like a dredger to deal with the quantity of armour going into the Lake!

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jon Freitag

Quote from: Keraunos on February 21, 2024, 08:35:50 AMMore like a dredger to deal with the quantity of armour going into the Lake!
I wonder if there has been an underwater archeological study at Lake Trasimene.  A study producing artifacts may help pinpoint the location of the battle or, perhaps, dispel myths.

dwkay57

Interesting that in the last two re-fights the melees in the defile went in favour of the Carthagians, whereas I think the earlier ones went in favour of the Romans (just about). Did you identify any particular reasons (other than dice rolls) for this Jon?
David

Jon Freitag

David, you make an astute observation and ask a very good question.

In the first two games, the Romans essentially cleared the mouth of the defile of any Carthaginian defenders.  Seeing this potential weakness, the Carthaginian players in Games #3 and #4 adapted to seal the defile.  In Game #3, this was accomplished by reinforcing the defenders with one more heavy infantry formation and attacking aggressively.   In Game #4, this was accomplished by attacking aggressively and watching the opponent fold like a cheap shirt.  Really, Carthage may have held the defile with a single light infantry the way in which the Roman Van operated.  Dice played a very big role in Game #4.  With better Roman resistance, would Game #4 have developed similarly to Game #3?  More games coming up to test that theory.     

dwkay57

What sneaky Carthaginians  >:(

Based on the earlier battle results, as a Roman, I would have had confidence that my troops in the defile could have at least held their positions, allowing me to potentially divert some of them to support the men by the lake.
David

Jon Freitag

Quote from: dwkay57 on February 22, 2024, 04:42:05 PMWhat sneaky Carthaginians  >:(

Based on the earlier battle results, as a Roman, I would have had confidence that my troops in the defile could have at least held their positions, allowing me to potentially divert some of them to support the men by the lake.
With such a bottleneck in the defile, redirecting at least two, closest units back to the lake seems a reasonable play.  As the Roman player in the game later today, I will see if this can be pulled off successfully.  I face a sneaky Carthaginian opponent, however.