News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Oldest still-liquid wine found in Roman Spain

Started by Duncan Head, June 18, 2024, 04:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

https://www.theguardian.com/science/article/2024/jun/18/oldest-wine-ever-discovered-in-liquid-form-found-in-urn-with-roman-remains

In a cremation urn, rather than an amphora. The discoverers seem oddly reluctant to taste it, though.

Quote"It's not in the least bit toxic – we've done the microbiological analysis," he said.

"But I'd have qualms about that because this wine has spent 2,000 years in contact with the cremated body of a dead Roman. The liquid is a bit murky because of the bone remains. But I guess you could filter it and try it. I'd rather someone else tried it first, though."
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Or you could always try the contents of George Washington's cellar.  One wonders what prompted people to start digging up the floor at this time...

???
Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

looking for a decent Presidential candidate...?
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Really?  If so, they were definitely digging in the wrong place.

Upon his death, George Washington's remains were moved to the family crypt that he had built upon the Mount Vernon estate when he first inherited.  In 1831, following an attempt to steal his skull by a recently fired and somewhat disgruntled gardener, both he and his deceased wife were moved to a new family tomb, also on the estate where they remain to this day.  Congress debated having his remains transferred to a crypt beneath the rotunda of the Capitol Building, but this was defeated, largely by intense opposition from southern congressmen.

8)
Nick Harbud