News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman History from the Bottom Up . . .

Started by Chris, July 20, 2024, 08:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Quote from: Imperial Dave on July 22, 2024, 12:31:41 PMbut who is the camp commandant...?

Wolsey was talking about army camps, rather than Butlins.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Nick Harbud on July 22, 2024, 11:13:33 AMSome of the above also apply to towns and cities.  Sundry historians note that European cities only started their modern expansion following the introduction to the masses of cheap tea, which required drinking water to be boiled in its preparation.  Up until this point, frequent outbreaks of disease tended to impose a maximum size upon a conurbation.

Certainly prior to the 19th century cities tended not to be able to replace their own populations and depended entirely on immigrants from the countryside to increase numbers

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: Imperial Dave on July 22, 2024, 04:45:41 PMOoooh topical

Intriguingly prior to the 19th century cities couldn't replace their populations because they died faster than they could breed but rural populations were healthier

Now it appears that modern urban populations have reduced the number of children they want, and undeveloped rural populations still want children.

It may be that the process that kept up the populations of ancient Rome and Alexandria is still working for London and similar cities?
Which might give us pause when we consider the ancient cities. We know Alexandria appears to have had ethnic 'ghettos' and perhaps an increasing 'Egyptian' population. (But by that time most 'Greeks' had several Egyptian grandparents)

Imperial Dave

the build it and he will come scenario. cities require service providers in droves if the viability of the 'work' entity is self sustaining. Take away the 'work' and the system collapses big time
Slingshot Editor

Nick Harbud

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 23, 2024, 07:42:44 AMIt may be that the process that kept up the populations of ancient Rome and Alexandria is still working for London and similar cities?

I don't know about this hypothesis.  I mean, did they have inflatable rubber boats in classical times?  ???
Nick Harbud

Erpingham

Although economic drivers sit at the centre of the growth of cities through history, it is probably unwise to draw too close parallels. Simple elements like the relative roles of slavery and technology have an impact, as do government policies.  If I recall correctly, while Alexandria was an economic hub, Rome required constant subsidy to maintain.

Nick Harbud

Nick Harbud

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Chris

Regret that I have not been that attentive to this wide-ranging discussion, but yes, from about 20-30 pages, I was making connections between the goings on in ancient Rome and cities/nations of the modern day and remarking to myself, how often history repeats itself, or some things never really change.  ::)