News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Medieval Cuneus

Started by Swampster, October 01, 2024, 03:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

I've just been reading a recent book on Montaperti. Regarding the Germans, the author quotes
"et hinc in partis cuneis militum... aquilarum victricium insignis explicati, invocata sublimi glorisi Dei iustitia... nec non fortuna regia que conterendam rebellium suorum potentiam depressit, ubique initium est prelium et multorum generale periculo" (Lectere debelationis populi florentini Bib Ap Vat Ott. Lat. 1101)
which is apparently by a Pisan supporter of Manfred soon after the battle.

Is the cuneus literally a wedge? I have an idea that it could just be a solid body of troops. There is reference to the cuneus Francorum at Poitiers. Are there any other High medieval uses which clarify?

Cheers
P

Erpingham

It is, of course, famously used of English archers at Agincourt.  Much has been written about whether it is meant literally as "wedge".  However, the usual medieval meaning seems to have been "body of troops".  As Matt Bennett long ago pointed out, the same source which uses cuneus for English archers also uses it for French forces a few lines previously. 

Bohemond

An argument to which I still adhere! I absolutely agree with Swampster on the matter.

Andreas Johansson

FWIW, the Dictionary of Medieval Latin thinks it can mean both a specifically wedge-shaped formation (keilförmige Schlachtreihe, -ordnung) and simply a body of troops (Heerschar, Haufen).

(Note: the Dictionary is specifically concerned with Latin usage in German-speaking Europe during the Early and High Middle Ages. It does however also draw words and examples from Frankish/French and Italian works that are relevant to German history, so your Florentine example is at least within its penumbra.)
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 216 infantry, 55 cavalry, 0 chariots, 95 other
Finished: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 3 chariots, 32 other

Erpingham

The Dictionary of Medieval Latin from Medieval Sources (DBLMS) comes to a similar conclusion. It appears that when applied to soldiers or animals it meant foremost "group or body", with the shape secondary.