News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Big fat desperate Optio slog

Started by Justin Swanton, October 15, 2024, 07:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Hi chaps, it's been a while!

Here is my latest blog post on a Rome vs Carthage battle played back in August. The interesting thing about the system is that it simply doesn't produce long games. This one was 20 (!) turns long and still lasted just over two hours. Enjoy!

Justin Swanton

I have to admit I'm ambivalent about wargaming. Sometimes really into it, sometimes just not. Don't quite know why that is.  :-\

Martin Smith

Well, whatta report! Photographing (nearly) every bound must be a major distraction (?), but it certainly lets you keep tabs on what happened, without relying purely on memory. Seeing the lines slowly shrinking and contracting was a great way of showing the armies crumbling under pressure as the day progressed. Nice one.

Mad Ron, is, I assume, a regular thrower of sixes? 🙂🎲🎲

(And by the early pic, maybe you need to try Peter Pig's (RFCM's) AK47 rules....😯).
Martin
u444

Keraunos

Welcome back.  Glad you got away from the Somali pirates!  I think you will find that many wargamers are of like mind, enthusiasm coming in waves like Saxon invaders!

Imperial Dave

yup, glad to see you Justin and nice report
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Yes, good to see you again Justin.  It's an interest fact of the hobby that there are those who eagerly try to cram in as many games as possible and those who only game when the fancy takes them. 

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Martin Smith on October 15, 2024, 08:10:22 AMWell, whatta report! Photographing (nearly) every bound must be a major distraction (?), but it certainly lets you keep tabs on what happened, without relying purely on memory. Seeing the lines slowly shrinking and contracting was a great way of showing the armies crumbling under pressure as the day progressed. Nice one.

Mad Ron, is, I assume, a regular thrower of sixes? 🙂🎲🎲

(And by the early pic, maybe you need to try Peter Pig's (RFCM's) AK47 rules....😯).
For the photos I set up my cellphone on a tripod and just get up to push the photo button. Not too much of a hassle but I need to get a remote switch for it - just press it from my seat.  8)

Never heard of Mad Ron? He is the Deity of Dice (or Demon of Dice depending on how you feel about him).

AK47 rules....must give them a try.

Justin Swanton

Thanks Dave and Anthony. :) I've actually played quite a few Optio games over the past several weeks. Just need to make up the battle reports.

Imperial Dave

I do like you mat layout...even though te grids are 'obvious' it doesnt detract for me personally

me likee
Slingshot Editor

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Imperial Dave on October 15, 2024, 12:30:45 PMI do like you mat layout...even though te grids are 'obvious' it doesnt detract for me personally

me likee
me likee you likee.

The grid squares are a tad small. They're 95x95mm, which is theoretically enough to accommodate 2 x 40mm wide stands side by side and a general/commander counter next to them, but one actually needs another 5mm. Got a bit of dough so I'll be ordering a slightly larger cloth.

Imperial Dave

fair enough.

mine is 100mm and I was unsure if it was too wide lol
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Has there been any development on making the "pre-battle jostling" maps and guidance available?
David

Justin Swanton

Quote from: dwkay57 on October 15, 2024, 05:44:04 PMHas there been any development on making the "pre-battle jostling" maps and guidance available?
I know. I need to get it out there. The blocks have a setup of disc magnets that allow a scout to detect an army without being discovered itself, whilst two army blocks reveal each other when they meet.

The pre-game works well, lasting about 5 minutes, but needs the blocks, so a player has to make them up. You also need a set of generic terrain maps: desert, foresty, mountainous, etc. I really must create the maps plus a tutorial on making the blocks.