News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Early civilisations layouts to avoid disease

Started by Imperial Dave, October 16, 2024, 06:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Quote from: Imperial Dave on October 16, 2024, 06:22:18 PMhttps://theconversation.com/socially-distanced-layout-of-the-worlds-oldest-cities-helped-early-civilization-evade-diseases-239586

Really doesn't surprise me at all....

I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't until the 19th century that European cities were 'self sustaining' in that prior to that they'd needed a constant migration in from rural areas to keep their populations up.

Ian61

Quote from: Jim Webster on October 16, 2024, 07:01:17 PM
Quote from: Imperial Dave on October 16, 2024, 06:22:18 PMhttps://theconversation.com/socially-distanced-layout-of-the-worlds-oldest-cities-helped-early-civilization-evade-diseases-239586

Really doesn't surprise me at all....

I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't until the 19th century that European cities were 'self sustaining' in that prior to that they'd needed a constant migration in from rural areas to keep their populations up.

Come to Rome and die of any of several nasty causes. :-\ and many did. The book Pathogenisis by Dr Kennedy did not paint a pleasant picture - the baths were equivalent of swimming in a (albeit diluted) sewer.
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset

Erpingham

A city remains an excellent place to spread disease.  Having spent days in crowded spaces, some of which were poorly ventilated train carriages, my immune sytem had plenty of novel illnesses to sample on my trip to London last week.  Result, absolute stinker of a cold  :(

Keraunos

Quote from: Ian61 on October 16, 2024, 07:38:11 PMCome to Rome and die of any of several nasty causes. :-\ and many did. The book Pathogenisis by Dr Kennedy did not paint a pleasant picture - the baths were equivalent of swimming in a (albeit diluted) sewer.

I don't know that book, but have read a detailed account of the bathing systems in old Moscow, which had a strict hierarchy of users.  The rich nobles got the fresh hot water.  Ordinary burghers got second use.  The lowest Ivans made do with lukewarm, third use water.  Trickle down theory at work?  Were Roman baths the same?

Ian61

Quote from: Keraunos on October 17, 2024, 06:40:34 PM
Quote from: Ian61 on October 16, 2024, 07:38:11 PMCome to Rome and die of any of several nasty causes. :-\ and many did. The book Pathogenisis by Dr Kennedy did not paint a pleasant picture - the baths were equivalent of swimming in a (albeit diluted) sewer.

I don't know that book, but have read a detailed account of the bathing systems in old Moscow, which had a strict hierarchy of users.  The rich nobles got the fresh hot water.  Ordinary burghers got second use.  The lowest Ivans made do with lukewarm, third use water.  Trickle down theory at work?  Were Roman baths the same?
Let's just say it wasn't just your fellow citizens floating around in the water :-\
Ian Piper
Norton Fitzwarren, Somerset