News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Blog of Badcon game 3

Started by Lurkio, February 24, 2012, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurkio

Hi, the next installment of our Badcon experieces is now on my Blog

http://www.lurkio.co.uk/blog

against Early Carthaginian , where it all starts to go wrong

thanks

Simon

Patrick Waterson

... and their armour rang about them.

If you had to do that particular enegagement again, what would you change (apart from certain dice rolls ... ;-) )?

Patrick
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Lurkio

Hi Patrick,

My thoughts after the weekend were that the undrilled nature of this army meant we really suffered from command and control problems.  The original plan was for all our generals to get 'stuck in', and therefore choice the cheapest possible generals. I might consider upgrading the commander in chief to an 'inspired commander', rather than a 'troop commander' - even though Agamemnon as inspiring sticks in the throat somewhat. This would have meant that we'd be 18% less likely to charge uncontrollably in any one turn.   May have helped.  Against hard charging cavalry our looser formation 'proto hoplites' are always a bit borderline.  Out of 4 games our chariots dismounted 3 times to stiffen the line. I don't think I would change that – as on the whole they did well. The downside being that the frontage of our army shrank somewhat.

The Carthaginians, played against out weakness. Their drilled status allowed them to sit back somewhat and tempt us out ,and then attack up piecemeal. Even when we charged out of line – and won – it did open up gaps that we  were struggling to fill.