News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Early Nubians vs Neo Assyrians in FoG

Started by Lurkio, June 28, 2013, 10:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurkio

As I've been blogging the progress, I thought I'd do an AAR for its first game

http://lurkio.co.uk/blog/archives/1703

So swing by if you'd like a read!

thanks
Simon

Patrick Waterson

It might have been interesting to see the Assyrians try what I think would be a historical lineup: chariots in the centre, supported by missile-capable infantry, with cavalry covering the flanks (and I mean covering, not wandering out to the green fields beyond).

Still, the Nubians were well-handled (pat on the back, Simon) and the result perhaps as good as could be expected.  It may be worth noting that historically, whenever the Assyrians came up against the troops of the Ethiopian Dynasty, the latter seem always to have lost, save for one instance when divine or muridine intervention handed Taharka (Herodotus' 'Sethos') a victory.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Lurkio

I agree. He gave me far too many units!  if the deployment was tighter I would have been in trouble! You do tend to find that giving people 6' to deploy in they feel oblieged to fill it.

Patrick Waterson

*smiles and points to Justin Taylor's recent Late Roman deployment*
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill