News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Death of Britannia, or the Birth of Sub-Roman England?

Started by Imperial Dave, October 27, 2017, 07:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Webster

Having finally got round to reading the article, if the author is intent on connections between 5th century practice and British Iron age rituals, and even a continuity of rituals, it struck me that this is therefore evidence that the 'germans' were perhaps more 'british' that has been considered.
If we're looking at it starting with the foederate, then I think we have to accept a lot of intermarriage. Whilst a chap might look askance at the bizarre customs of wife he has somehow acquired, whether by accepted marriage or capture or purchase, his sons are going to be more influenced by the beliefs of their mother and their own wives

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Jim Webster on October 29, 2017, 02:49:15 PM
Having finally got round to reading the article, if the author is intent on connections between 5th century practice and British Iron age rituals, and even a continuity of rituals, it struck me that this is therefore evidence that the 'germans' were perhaps more 'british' that has been considered.
If we're looking at it starting with the foederate, then I think we have to accept a lot of intermarriage. Whilst a chap might look askance at the bizarre customs of wife he has somehow acquired, whether by accepted marriage or capture or purchase, his sons are going to be more influenced by the beliefs of their mother and their own wives

a really good point Jim and sometimes things like this can be overlooked primarily because we dont have written evidence to describe the ins and outs of foederate interactions/marriages and the like
Slingshot Editor