News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Claudius and his elephants

Started by dwkay57, January 11, 2014, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwkay57

I know there is some evidence that Claudius transported some elephants to Britain during his visit, but is it likely that he would have ridden one - even on just on a triumphal entry?
My feeling is not, but I'd welcome some other more informed views.

The reason for asking is that is has been suggested it as part of an "app" on the history of Colchester.
David

Patrick Waterson

Not knowing his personal preference in the matter it is hard to say.  It would have been possible to provide him with a specially designed howdah, a trained elephant and a helpful crew had he wished to do so, but it really comes down to what we think he might have done in light of what we know of his personality.

My own reading is that he would have been tempted by the idea because it would impress the native with the grandeur of Rome (and Rome's emperor) while at the same time a bit worried in case it all went horribly wrong.  If he could have been reassured on this point, I think he would have done it: he was always keen on spectacle, witness his 'realistic' naval battle on the Fucine Lake, and Suetonius (Claudius, 30) writes that he "had a certain majesty and dignity of presence" when he was seated, standing still or in repose - all of which might encourage him to ride an elephant rather than try to manage a horse or bump along in a chariot.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

The elephant would also distance him more from the spectators which should add to the dignity of the occasion, so like Patrick, I think he'd have given it a go  ;)

Jim

Andreas Johansson

Against, if he did, wouldn't that be likely to be mentioned explicitly? Riding a nellie would seem the sort of thing to attract remark?

Also, in the West (as in, west of India), elephants are distinctly rare as mounts for top commanders. The only instance that comes to mind is Ptolemy Keraunos*.

So, not saying it definitely didn't happen, but I'd incline to suspect not.

* If indeed he did - we're all familiar, I guess, with the idea he fell of his elephant in battle with the Galatians, but I just looked through a number of ancient sources mentioning his death (Diodorus Siculus, Polybius, Plutarch, and Justin), and none seem to mention anything pachydermal in connection therewith. Anyone know where the story comes from?
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

Duncan Head

It's Memnon of Herakleia, as preserved in Photios:
QuoteHe committed many other crimes over a period of two years, until a band of Gauls left their country because of famine and invaded Macedonia. He joined battle with these Gauls, and was killed in a manner befitting his own cruelty, being torn apart by the Gauls, who had captured him alive after the elephant on which he was riding was injured and threw him off.
http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/photius_copyright/photius_06bibliotheca.htm
Duncan Head

Andreas Johansson

Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 14 other
Finished: 72 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 3 other

dwkay57

My own feeling when I first heard the idea suggested was that it was extremely unlikely due to a combination of the following factors which reflects earlier comments:

a) It could have been prone to complete failure if it had gone wrong which seems out of keeping with his whole approach to his participation in the invasion.
b) Romans of this period were not famous elephant users so I'm not convinced any of the elephants would have been well enough trained to be a safe ride, especially in an unfamiliar and recently conquered country.
c) We don't hear too much about the elephants being ridden in such away either in Britain nor in Rome and I'm sure we would have if they had.

An interesting if slightly off usual subject matter discussion!
David

Patrick Waterson

All of which is certainly true - up to a point.

Claudius would not have brought over elephants that were untrained: a high level of training and understanding would have been necessary to get the creatures across the English Channel in the first place, not to mention using them in battle without mishap.  We can safely assume that had Clau-Clau wanted to ride one then a reliable beast and crew would have been available, so it really comes down to a question of whether we think he would have wanted to do so, or be persuaded to it by his favourites.

The Romans were not great builders of large ships or users of thunder-and-lightning machines, but this did not stop Caligula having these made and used.  If Claudius had wanted to ride an elephant then every effort would have been put into making one suitable for him to ride, whatever it took.  Hence my feeling that it comes down to whether he would actually have felt like doing so.  His aversion to insecurity would say no; his appreciation of spectacle would say yes.

So would he?  Knowing him as I do (largely through the pages of Suetonius) I think he would, but that is just my opinion.  :)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Have people seen this discussion - http://rogueclassicism.com/2010/07/28/first-elephant-in-britain/ - or is that perhaps what sparked this current thread?

And while I think of it, is there any source for the claim that Claudius brought along camels as well - for instance, http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A5855448 - or is that entirely down to Robert Graves?
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

Cassius Dio (LX.7) makes reference to camels earlier in Claudius' reign:

"In the Circus there was one contest with camels and twelve with horses, and three hundred bears and the same number of Libyan beasts were slain."

Dio's (LX.21) account of Claudius' British campaign refers to 'extensive forces [strateia polle] including elephants', but does not specifically mention camels.

"Shortly afterwards Togodumnus perished, but the Britons, so far from yielding, united all the more firmly to avenge his death. Because of this fact and because of the difficulties he had encountered at the Thames, Plautius became afraid, and instead of advancing any farther, proceeded to guard what he had already won, and sent for Claudius. 2 For he had been instructed to do this in case he met with any particularly stubborn resistance, and, in fact, extensive equipment [sic], including elephants, had already been got together for the expedition.

When the message reached him, Claudius entrusted affairs at home, including the command of the troops, to his colleague Lucius Vitellius, whom he had caused to remain in office like himself for a whole half-year; and he himself then set out for the front. 3 He sailed down the river to Ostia, and from there followed the coast to Massilia; thence, advancing partly by land and partly along the rivers, he came to the ocean and crossed over to Britain, where he joined the legions that were waiting for him near the Thames. 4 Taking over the command of these, he crossed the stream, and engaging the barbarians, who had gathered at his approach, he defeated them and captured Camulodunum, the capital of Cynobellinus. Thereupon he won over numerous tribes, in some cases by capitulation, in others by force, and was saluted as imperator several times, contrary to precedent; 5 for no man may receive this title more than once for one and the same war. He deprived the conquered of their arms and handed them over to Plautius, bidding him also subjugate the remaining districts. Claudius himself now hastened back to Rome, sending ahead the news of his victory by his sons-in‑law Magnus and Silanus.
"

So unless they were travelling anonymously as part of the 'extensive forces', camels are not mentioned by Dio.  Robert Graves may have put two and two together from the above passages to assume the availability and use of camels and/or may have been subconsciously influenced by a book current at the time.  ;)

dwkay57

Yes Duncan it was Colchester Castle's claim (advised by a different route) that sparked my question. Given that the town's "centurion" emblem is also somewhat suspect (fore-aft crest with ponytail on an attic helmet) I wasn't too sure about this claim either.

I suppose we can now expect to see the Essex version of an Imperial Roman army to include elephants - but only if as the mount of the Emperor, with flash paint job on the howdah, spoilers and fluffy dice.
David

Patrick Waterson

Citizen6

One aspect that no-one has mentioned is that he would have wanted to align himself with Julius Caesar who famously used an elephant as one of his symbols of victory (either for the Civil Wars or over Galllia depending on who you read). There is also Polyaenus (Strat 8:23) claiming that Caesar had a single armoured elephant in Britannia though this is not mentioned in Caesar's Gallic Wars so may be erroneous (but then again perhaps Caesar would not want to mention that his success was based on the Celts fear of a strange beast rather than his military prowess). But as Caesar was the the only other "emperor" to invade Britannia, the parallels cannot be coincidental in my opinion.  Given that Claudius was not fleet of foot (as it were), being mounted in a howdah would have also symbolised his mastery over the elephant. Personally, I don't think obtaining a well trained African elephant for the role would have been that hard given Rome's control and influence in eastern North Africa. Elephants were easily moved across to Spain even if it is considered that extensive sea travel (such as to Italy) was problematic. 

Patrick Waterson

dwkay57

The reference to J Caesar's use of an elephant in Britain is mentioned in the link that Duncan provided. If elephants had frightened Celts would they not have also frightened Gauls and we might have heard more about them being more widely used in this period?
David