News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Interesting CGI reconstruction of Caerphilly Castle via BBC article

Started by Imperial Dave, July 02, 2014, 10:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28117515

Interesting article and CGI reconstruction "video" of Caerphilly Castle. I love stuff like this and although its not everyone's cup of tea, for me its good to see more and more "reconstructions" being done via CGI. Just wish someone would do one of Roman Caerwent and Caerleon :)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

One can see from the outworks and layered defences that taking Caerphilly would be quite a challenge unless it could be done with surprise and a coup de main.

The water defences seem particularly well arranged: one side has a high wall and an overlapping outwork which could enfilade boat-borne attackers; the other side has a 'land filter' of open ground which would enforce attacker disembarkation to drag the boats over the intervening land strip, during which they would be very vulnerable to archery from the castle - and even more so while trying to re-launch and re-embark to cross the last bit of water before the walls.

Cunning fellow, that Gilbert de Clare.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Erpingham

It is well worth a visit if you are down Cardiff way.  Quite a bit of rebuilding has been done in 19th century so it is impressive - in fact the displays of the phases of restoration are interesting in themselves.  For example, the moats were only refilled in the 20th century.  You can also clamber about in the reconstructed timber hoardings. Oh, and the cheese is good too (not insipid like the stuff you get in supermarkets).

Justin Swanton

Reminds me of the Italica Romana reconstruction of the Saalsburg Roman Fort. Sun low in the west and atmospheric music...

Imperial Dave

yes, can thoroughly recommend a visit to Caerphilly Castle. I once did a reenactment show there and we had to demonstrate how siege equipment such as trebuchets, worked. Great fun :)
Slingshot Editor