News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Logboats in the Lake - Discovering wrecks over 4 millenia in an Irish Lake

Started by Imperial Dave, July 10, 2014, 10:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

http://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/the-logboats-in-the-lake.htm

I listened to an interview with Captain Trevor Northage on radio 4 last week who has taken it upon himself to map Lough Corrib lake in County Antrim. In the process of this he has found several boat wrecks in these waters including the headline 11th Century Irish logboat. Fascinating article
Slingshot Editor

Mick Hession

Thanks for the link Dave.

I haven't had a chance to visit the Clontarf exhibition in the Museum yet, but plan to do so shortly.

Cheers
Mick 

Imperial Dave

It was a fascinating interview and one I happened to tune into on the way back from work the other day quite by chance. Then seeing the article on top of that was the icing on the cake. Hopefully you will get chance to visit the exhibition and report back :)
Slingshot Editor

Mick Hession

I finally got up to the Clontarf exhibition in Dublin's Archaeological Museum in Kildare Street yesterday. The focus of the exhibition is more on the battle's context and cultural significance than its conduct, but it serves as an introduction to a re-vamped and extended exhibition of the extensive archaeological finds from the Viking period, mostly from Dublin but also elsewhere in Ireland. Plenty of weaponry, both Norse and Irish, and a particularly good selection of Irish battleaxes from around the country.

I also got a hurried (it was just before closing time) look at the Medieval section, which is hugely improved since the last time I was there a few years ago. 

See http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibition/clontarf-1014.aspx#SelectedArticle - I found some of the videos quite interesting, particularly the ones on weaponry (naturally).

Admission to the museum and the exhibition is free so if you're in Dublin I recommend a visit (whilst the Clontarf exhibition is temporary, the Viking and Medieval displays are permanent)   

Cheers
Mick

Imperial Dave

thanks for the heads up Mick. We are hoping to pop over next year sometime so might drag my better half to go and see it :)
Slingshot Editor