News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Army of Herod

Started by dwkay57, July 12, 2015, 02:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

I get the impression that meros is being used by Josephus here simply as 'part' or 'portion' http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0148:book=2:section=51&highlight=sebaste i.e. the Sebastenoi are the most warlike part of the army. Compare the same event in AJ XVII.266 and BJ II.52.

There are cavalry and there are infantry but I don't think we need to assume they are part of the same unit. In the later period, the cavalry are specifically called an ile. The foot are referred to as being in 'tagmata' which elsewhere means legion (e.g. when referencing Caesar's Xth). Cohort seems to be 'taxis' or 'speira'. Telos might also be cohort, or at least an equivalent unit.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/wordfreq?lookup=me/ros&lang=greek&sort=name shows the use of meros in Josephus (and others). I certainly haven't looked at all 250ish examples in Josephus, but he does use the word in its general sense pretty often, and I can't find a specific usage as if it is a particular unit. The times where there are multiple 'parts' that I noticed, it was where an area was divided up or something similar.

I can't find a mention of Achiabus's 'certain force' in Jos. In fact he only gets mentioned a handful of times across BJ and AJ. I wouldn't read too much into 'certain' if it is a translation from the Greek 'τίς' - IIRC it is just a bit of a flourish, like the over- and unnecessary use of 'this' in modern conversational English 'There was this man...' See for example 'στρατιώτης τις ἀνακαλύψας ἐπεδείκνυε τῷ πλήθει τὰ αἰδοῖα'

Patrick Waterson

On reflection, I am inclined to agree with Peter - Josephus need not have followed Polybius' usage.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

dwkay57

I googled jewish meros army unit and was surprised to see this thread on first page!

The other references do seem to suggest that meros may mean portion or possibly wing.
If so this gives me a bit more flexibility in how I might structure the army.
David

dwkay57

200 year ago or so (OK, I exaggerate slightly but it does seem a very long time ago) I started this thread to help guide my plans for a 6mm Herodian Jewish army.

Well, the varnish has now dried on the 379th and final figure of that army. Attached photograph show it in a possible battle line up and hopefully it will appear in a battle report soon (you have been warned).

For those who are really bored whilst awaiting the arrival of Slingshot 332, more details of the army roster are available on my website - just don't tell its all changed since I started painting the first figures.
David

Swampster

Quote from: dwkay57 on October 10, 2020, 01:47:38 PM
just don't tell its all changed since I started painting the first figures.

Did you miss the archaeological report? They found a papyrus that shows the whole army was mounted - half of them on camel drawn chariots. So I am afraid you have to get painting again.

:)

P.

Tim

Peter, don't forget the war-goats...

Jim Webster

Quote from: Tim on October 10, 2020, 07:49:37 PM

Or the unit conscripted from workmen building the temple. They'd look something like a meeting of a group of senior freemasons 

dwkay57

that's what I feared...........
David

Swampster

Quote from: Tim on October 10, 2020, 07:49:37 PM
They have the advantage that when another unit should suffer, you take it out on the goats instead.

Anton

War Goats!  Now we are getting somewhere.