News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Greek Shield aprons of the 5th Century

Started by Tim, September 10, 2015, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

In Athenian Red Figure Vases of the Classical Period by Sir John Boardman, on page 19, the picture labelled [6] has on the top right has a man thrusting a spear overarm.  On his left arm he has a shield that covers his shoulder to his hip, hanging from which is an apron that reaches almost to his ankle.  It is more than 50% longer than the shield is round.  I know that the figires are Gigantomanchy but other figures are carrying the aspis and they cover shoulder to knee.  The pot is about mid-5th Century.

All the representations I have seen of the apron make it smaller (or much smaller) than the shield (including those I have on my rather beautiful 28mm Athenians with the same eye painted on the apron).  Is this figure on the pot an artistic licence or have I always had it wrong?

Duncan Head

It's longer than most examples,  but I don't see why it shouldn't be accurate;  sizes of these things may have varied quite a bit.

Compare the Amazonomachy in illustration 17 of the same book; there are three hoplites with similar floor-length shield-aprons - interesting that the two vases are of similar date. A lot of their length seems to be dagged tails, rather than a solid rectangle of leather or cloth, which would presumably be less clumsy and less likely to catch on things.
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

I would assume that for a taller man, having a larger than normal shield made could be more expensive, and getting more leg protection just by increasing the diameter of the shield could get heavy with a round shield. So it would be less of a burden to give him a longer shield apron.

Jim