News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Late Makedonian Heavy Cavalry

Started by BjörnF, October 25, 2015, 09:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BjörnF

Hello!
I have just finished Sekunda's "The Antigonid Army".
On page 71 he discuss the use of scale armour on late Antigonid heavy cavalry. Both the stele of Amyntas son of Alexandros and the herm of Philip V (page 33) shows them with what could be scale armour.  In the Osprey version of the book the scale armour is reconstructed as, what it looks like to me, as linen body armour with scales on the out-side (see the cover of the book for the picture).
Is that the most likely reconstruction, or is it possible to be some other kind of scale armour? Maybe more like the Roman Lorica Squamata?
Maybe like the Maccabean cavalry in AMPW (fig 63) or the Skythian noble in fig 77.
I would be very happy with thoughts about Late Makedonian scale armour.
Thanks!
Björn
My Macedonian Miniature project: https://www.facebook.com/Kestrophedrone

Patrick Waterson

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this?
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

Well, a scale-faced linen/leather cuirass is about what I'd have expected as the most likely interpretation given the scale armour on the herms. The Cambridge herm does seem to have the inner edge of shoulder-pieces visible below the dangling lappets, and the Marcus Philippus coin has the pteryges (assuming that (a) it is Philip V, and (B) that he's wearing the same armour as in the herms).
Duncan Head