News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Neo-Babylonian winged disk?

Started by rodge, January 23, 2016, 02:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodge

Having happily inherited a lot of 15mm Neo-Babylonian lead to paint would the army have carried a winged disc or sun disc on the field?
Or something else?

Duncan Head

I suspect they followed the usual Near Eastern pattern of carrying images of the gods into battle, usually in chariots, but I don't know what image would have pre-eminence. Judging from this, there was no shortage of divine standards, but I am not aware of any definitive evidence on which one(s) might be taken on campaign.
Duncan Head

rodge

Thanks, will probably try and create something vaguely plausible......

rodge

Should anyone else tread this path this gives some information but no images
https://www.academia.edu/1976769/Dynastic_Gods_and_Favourite_Gods_in_the_Neo-Babylonian_Period

The conclusion states:
The documentary evidence presented above points to the existence of a divine triad in the Neo-Babylonian period headed by Marduk, who was immediately followed by Nabû and, in third place, by Nergal. Outside of this triad, the other Babylonian gods never acquired special relevance in the official pantheon of the land.
In some texts, however, for the most part building inscriptions regarding temples of deities of historical and religious prestige, such as Šamaš and Sîn, these gods are depicted with unusual prominence, given the secondary positions they occupied in the Babylonian pantheon. Nevertheless, these inscriptions had a merely local relevance; they were produced in centres where these gods were worshipped: Sippar and Larsa in the case of Šamaš, and Ur and Ḫarrān in the case of Sîn. Apart from these "local" inscriptions, there is no evidence to sustain the existence of any kind of religious reform aimed at replacing Marduk at the head of the pantheon during the Neo-Babylonian period.

Patrick Waterson

That conclusion is supported by the nomenclature of Chaldean kings, or would-be kings, of the Neo-Babylonian Empire: Marduk-apal-iddn (Merodach-baldan), Nergilissar, Labash-Marduk, Nabu-kudurri-usur (Nebuchadnezzar) Amel-Marduk (Evil-Merodach), Nabu-naid (Nabonidus).
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

rodge

Been scouring the net for some images for Neo-Babylonians to help with painting
Found lots of Neo-Assyrians....so would I be looking at something more or less like them colour wise minus the socks?

Duncan Head

This mentions a Neo-Babylonian document detailing indigo dyes for wool, and indigo-madder mix for purple.
Duncan Head

rodge

Thats very useful, thanks.
Looks like madder, purple and various blues plus the usual white/off white or undyed natural colours?