News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Hydaspes with ADLG

Started by Chris, October 12, 2016, 01:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Gentlemen,

Here are  almost 3,000 words describing a recently completed refight of Hydaspes using ADLG.

Thanks for taking the time to read or at least scan.

Chris

Patrick Waterson

Nicely done, Chris.

The two anomalies which seem to stand out are the uselessness of Macedonian light troops against just about anything Indian (a real rules problem here, methinks) and the curious capability of chariots against Companions.  Historically, the chariots just seemed to vanish at contact, probably harassed effectively by Macedonian missilemen beforehand and then cut up by the more manoeuvrable and better-trained Companions.

One experiments, one learns, one becomes familiar - keep it up; you are doing well!
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Chris

Patrick,

Thanks for  taking the time to read and comment/reply. (Thanks again for your input re elephants.)

Yes, I was surprised by the lack of skill displayed by the elite  Macedonian light troops. In reviewing the unit stats sheet this  morning, I see that Light troops  have no melee factor - even against elephants. Elephants do not get an impact bonus vs light troops but do get a +1 versus  foot.

The Scythians did not pepper the Indian chariots with arrows in the game. Poor dice and then more time evading than hand-to-hand. Versus cavalry, heavy chariots have a +2 melee factor and they get impact on the first round, so they have  +3. The  Companions were rated elite, so they can increase poor die throws, and they get a +1 factor versus mounted.

Perhaps I should have deployed the Companions in smaller groups? This might have afforded them the chance to work around  the flanks of the chariots.

Thanks again,

Chris

Denis Grey

Chris,

Under ADLG, javelin-armed light infantry get a +1 in the first round of melee.  (This isn't mentioned on the quick reference sheet, because not all LI are javelin-armed.)  I don't know whether or not this - combined with their elite status - would have made a difference.

Also, in the army lists at the back of the book, the Companions are classed as having impact as well as being elite, which would have made the match up against the chariots +2 versus +3 in the first round, with the Companions adding +1 to a die roll of 1-3 because of their elite status.  Again, I don't know whether or not this would have made a difference.

Finally - and this is a trick of ADLG rather than a strategy of Alexander's - if you deploy LH in 2 ranks, the rear rank can support the shooting of the front rank.  However, if the shooters roll a 1 and the target a 6, there is nothing that is going to be of much help.

I enjoyed the report.  More to come?

Denis

Chris

Denis -

Open palm thwack to forehead - Doh! Accidentally omitted the +1 for the Thracians and Agrianians carrying and throwing javelins at the elephants. As I recall though, the dice were so lopsided that it may not have made a difference.

I did better with the Companions, as on my counters, I do list the fact that they are elite cavalry and have impact.
Not sure if this qualifies them for furious charge . . . will have to check on that.

Point taken about the Scythians and having them deployed in a skirmisher line as opposed to a cloud-shaped block.

Am reviewing possibility of trying Pharsalus, but it looks a bit lopsided, especially with the cavalry under Labienus.

Thanks for reading and supplying corrections. Appreciate it!

Chris

Denis Grey

Chris

You're welcome - and I'm enjoying the reports, so I hope you'll keep 'em coming.

To save you the trouble of checking, all impetuous troops and cavalry and knights with impact against foot get the "impetuous charge" bonus if they win, but it only applies against foot units, so it wouldn't have affected the Companions versus chariots clash.

Denis