News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Jugurtha meets Marius

Started by Paul Innes, May 13, 2017, 11:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Innes

Latest campaign battle report here:

http://caliban-somewhen.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/jugurtha-versus-marius.html

The guys in Glasgow couldn't do this one because I have all the appropriate North Africans, but now that it's done they can, hopefully, get on with the Cimbric War.

Paul

Imperial Dave

very nice figures and a great write up (love the blog btw).

one question though....

metal or plastic? ;)
Slingshot Editor

Chris

Once again, another impressive and inspiring depiction. Very well done!

I won't ask about rules, as I would figure Tactica II were used.

The mention of running out of time was interesting but not uncommon. (In several accounts of ADLG games I have read, the opposing commanders run out of time before a firm decision is reached.) Do you attribute your situation to the size of the scenario, the "inexperience" of the Roman players, a combination of the two, or something else?

Jugurtha vs  Marius . . . hmmmm. Perhaps I add something similar to my list of games to consider or play? I wonder how such an engagement would  go with Armati 2nd, Impetus, or ADLG. At the risk of complicating things, seems like fertile ground for a mini campaign wherein a younger Sulla might figure prominently, thus setting in motion the wheel of events that would mark future chapters of the relationship between the two great men.

Thanks for posting.

Chris

Paul Innes

Hi both, I tried to answer this earlier but lost the forum connection - apologies if this appears more than once. The reason we ran out of time is that I was using a room at work, but a meeting that was supposed to finish beforehand ran on. This cut down the time I had set aside for setup. We still saw a resolution, though.

Paul

Patrick Waterson

Marius became infamous for recruiting from the capita censi.  Drawing troops from the captive censi suggests a new level of reluctance or compulsion. ;)

Excellent battle, Paul, as always.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Paul Innes

Thanks, Patrick. I really hate autocorrect!

Mark G

We tried jurgatha many times in armati.

Light cav jav armies are just not viable as the rules are written.

Romans box them in and run them over every time.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Mark G on May 14, 2017, 08:15:40 AM
We tried jurgatha many times in armati.

Light cav jav armies are just not viable as the rules are written.

Romans box them in and run them over every time.

can depend on table size, if you have a small army on large table it's fairer

You notice this with Impetus rules, different armies do better in 15mm than 25mm

Tim

It is a function of troop size, table density and time.  In DBM very different armies tend to do very at 25mm vs 15mm, and also 15mm singles vs doubles.  However I do agree with Mark, while 20 years ago LH armies would do ok, I can't think of a single ruleset that models LH well.  (Great news for us Roman players but less good for history...)

DougM

Quote from: Tim on May 14, 2017, 11:33:56 AM
It is a function of troop size, table density and time.  In DBM very different armies tend to do very at 25mm vs 15mm, and also 15mm singles vs doubles.  However I do agree with Mark, while 20 years ago LH armies would do ok, I can't think of a single ruleset that models LH well.  (Great news for us Roman players but less good for history...)

Whether it models them well, I shall leave for others to comment, but LH armies are popular and quite successful in DBMM. Turkoman and Mongol are often seen in competition games.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Mark G

We'll of course, each rule set focusses on different things.

At the dbm(s) scale you have a lot of pre battle manoeuvre and the space to do it, which encourages light horse armies.

Armati starts at bow range, and has little real space to evade.

It also differentiates between bow and javelin on horseback, to the missile detriment of javelins.  All of which makes light cab jav armies very hard to play. 

Numidians especially.

gavindbm

As I like a challenge, I enjoy using my 28mm Seljuk Turkish light horse army (Perry Miniatures are so nice) in DBM on  6 foot by 4 for table.  They sometimes do well....and sometimes not.

Tim

Gavin

Agree it would LOOK impressive... However too ballsy a choice for me...