News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

and just because its the 24th August.....

Started by Imperial Dave, August 24, 2017, 10:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Very nice.  The night scenes do not entirely tally with Pliny's description:

Quote"Meanwhile on Mount Vesuvius broad sheets of fire and leaping flames blazed at several points, their bright glare emphasized by the darkness of night."

but we can forgive them that minor detail.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Prufrock

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on August 25, 2017, 08:04:54 AM
Very nice.  The night scenes do not entirely tally with Pliny's description:

Quote"Meanwhile on Mount Vesuvius broad sheets of fire and leaping flames blazed at several points, their bright glare emphasized by the darkness of night."

but we can forgive them that minor detail.

Great video, and thanks also for the link, Patrick. That's quite a handy little site!

Imperial Dave

I am seeing more and more of these videos/animations being posted and they are definitely getting better. As ever, its an interpretation but for me a useful one. I recently visited Vaison La Romaine and the Roman ruins are truly impressive. The museum there had a small cinema room with some interpretative films of the layout of the city in its heyday which was very useful and well done
Slingshot Editor