News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

BBC article on silphium

Started by Duncan Head, September 08, 2017, 09:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

what a great article. Thanks for the find Duncan. This bit did have me chuckling though....

"simply rub into the affected area, though Pliny warns his readers never, ever to try this with a tooth cavity, after a man who did so threw himself off a house"
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Which Falco novel is it that features a "get-rich-quick" scheme to track down Silphium? 

Duncan Head

Quote from: Erpingham on September 08, 2017, 12:16:37 PM
Which Falco novel is it that features a "get-rich-quick" scheme to track down Silphium?
The one in Africa, with the lions in the arena?
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 08, 2017, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: Erpingham on September 08, 2017, 12:16:37 PM
The one in Africa, with the lions in the arena?

Yes.  A quick google tells me it is Two for the Lions.

Imperial Dave

I knew I had seen it somewhere before! Must dig out those books at some point  :)
Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Dave Beatty

Hmmm... picking huckleberries in "America's National Parks" will get you 10 to 20 hard time in the slammer... just sayin... the author has confused National Parks with National Forest - it is mostly legal to collect stuff from the latter but not the former.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Dave Beatty on September 19, 2017, 01:40:27 PM
Hmmm... picking huckleberries in "America's National Parks" will get you 10 to 20 hard time in the slammer...

That apparently depends where, and how many. For instance:

Quote from: http://www.ohranger.com/glacier/huckleberriesHuckleberries in Glacier National Park
Visitors to Glacier can pick one quart of huckleberries per person per day. They may be collected for personal consumption only. Waterton Lakes National Park only allows hand-to-mouth picking.
Duncan Head