News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Avon Valley in the fifth to mid-seventh centuries: contacts and coalescence

Started by Imperial Dave, September 12, 2017, 04:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:920eaba8-94da-4813-9547-f04268691648

Very detailed but thoroughly absorbing treatise on the emergence of polities in the Avon Valley during the post Roman/early AS period
Slingshot Editor

Anton

Swampster

Very interesting. This is my home area. I live right by Ryknield street and one of the finds sites is probably half a mile away from here.

I went to the Roman museum in Alcester (which gets plenty of mentions in the thesis) a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly enormous but a pleasant visit if you happen to be in the vicinity.

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Swampster on September 12, 2017, 07:13:22 PM
Very interesting. This is my home area. I live right by Ryknield street and one of the finds sites is probably half a mile away from here.

I went to the Roman museum in Alcester (which gets plenty of mentions in the thesis) a couple of weeks ago. Not exactly enormous but a pleasant visit if you happen to be in the vicinity.

thanks, one for the memory banks....not terribly far away from me (ish)
Slingshot Editor

Mark G

Curious whether there is evidence of door to door cosmetics sales going on too.

Or is than a different Avon?

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Swampster

Quote from: Mark G on September 13, 2017, 01:31:12 PM
Curious whether there is evidence of door to door cosmetics sales going on too.

Or is than a different Avon?
Curiously, the same Avon. The cosmetics chap apparently visited Stratford and afterwards used the name of its river for his company after having traded as California Perfume for two or three decades.
That and the smells of scented talc and cold cream which pervade the A435

Imperial Dave

and at a particularly tangential tangient......Avon make a really good mosquito deterrent thats sold as a hand moisturiser :) 
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on September 15, 2017, 10:31:11 PM
and at a particularly tangential tangient......Avon make a really good mosquito deterrent thats sold as a hand moisturiser :)

Doesn't explain why the miserable hero of Blake's 7 was named after a brand of handcream.

Patrick Waterson

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Swampster

Quote from: Erpingham on September 16, 2017, 07:50:43 AM
Quote from: Holly on September 15, 2017, 10:31:11 PM

Doesn't explain why the miserable hero of Blake's 7 was named after a brand of handcream.

He was a bit of a smooth character.

Mark G

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor