News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Did a Trojan prince take part in a Sea People attack?

Started by Andreas Johansson, October 08, 2017, 07:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Johansson

That's apparently what a newly-translated - but no longer extant in original - inscription says:

https://www.livescience.com/60629-ancient-inscription-trojan-prince-sea-people.html

There's appears to be room for some doubt whether the inscription is genuine.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Duncan Head

I must admit that "fake" was the first thing that went through my mind when I saw the headline; and then again when I saw it was from Mellaart's archives(*). If the current version is really based on Perrot's 1878 copy, when nobody could read Luwian, then I suppose it must be genuine, assuming the current scholars are right and it's correct Luwian; but I am not sure from the story if it can really be traced back past Alkım's copy. It will be interesting to learn more.

(*) For Mellaart's record of dubious finds, see here or here on the Dorak treasure and here for another case where his reconstructions don't seem to fit the evidence.
Duncan Head

Duncan Head

To be published here by the look of it; I think that would be the Proceedings of the Dutch Archaeological and Historical Society referenced in the Indy story. I wonder if it will turn out to be open access or paid "premium content" like the last issue?

There are some interesting articles on this same Late Bronze period in the 2012 issue, by the way.
Duncan Head

Patrick Waterson

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Adrian Nayler

David Blanchard's post elsewhere on this forum has significant bearing on this topic. The documents were seemingly almost certainly fabricated.

See  http://soa.org.uk/sm/index.php?topic=3248.0

Duncan Head

Mellaart's shady background is acknowledged in the Talanta translation article I linked to; the editors are cautious, the translators believe in the documents. One of the problems seemed to be whether Mellaart knew enough Luwian to produce such a forgery; the press release David links to suggests quite strongly that he did.
Duncan Head