News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Does anyone use Ancients Rules to play other Periods?

Started by eques, December 10, 2017, 11:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eques

Is there any reason why game mechanics covering crossbows and knights can't be translated directly on to muskets and cuirassiers?

Imperial Dave

Its possible certainly. I havent done it that way around but have played ancients using a later period set. I have used George Gush's rules for 15th to 17th C battles for example and did this as an experiment with mt regular opponent at the time
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Impetus rules evolved to produce the Baroque rule set which covers 1550 to 1700

I used them to refight Assaye (1803) and they worked so one of our club members who's far more heavily into Napoleonics evolved them into a proper Napoleonics set

8)

Erpingham

The degree of abstraction would be quite important.  For example, you can play HOTT games with different periods of troops.  But if you need more fidelity to troop types and tactics, I don't think so.

Numerous basic games systems have been morphed/adapted across various periods e.g. Warhammer but you are not exactly playing other periods directly with the Ancients rules there.  Another string of adaptions is seen in Neil Thomas' rules, which are much looser and people do shift ideas both from different sets in the rules family and from period to period in e.g. One Hour Wargames (see for example discussions on the yahoo group

Martin Smith

Today, coincidentally, I've just played three games of DBA tweaked to play ECW/ War of Three Kingdoms. It worked really well, so kudos to Pete Duckworth for the 'variant' rules, and to Mr Barker for a solid basis to work around.

M :)
Martin
u444

evilgong

Hi there

>>>>>>>>

I used them to refight Assaye (1803) and they worked so one of our club members who's far more heavily into Napoleonics evolved them into a proper Napoleonics set
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Our gang played Baroque and also immediately said there was a good set of Naps rules in them.  I understand the author is producing one.

Regards

David F Brown

Jim Webster

Quote from: evilgong on December 11, 2017, 09:30:46 PM
Hi there

>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Our gang played Baroque and also immediately said there was a good set of Naps rules in them.  I understand the author is producing one.

Regards

David F Brown

he is, and we've sent him ours as well :-)

eques

Yes I can.imagine the Impetus system based on separate "commands" would translate well to Napoleonic.

evilgong

JW said

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My gang would love to give yours a try; send to dfmbrown@mpx.com.au if you wish.

David B

Jim Webster

Quote from: evilgong on December 12, 2017, 11:16:55 PM
JW said

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My gang would love to give yours a try; send to dfmbrown@mpx.com.au if you wish.

David B

hopefully you have mail  ;)