News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

What colour is bronze?

Started by Swampster, January 14, 2018, 09:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

I should imagine most of us who have painted classical armies have tried various paints before settling on a favourite for bronze. This review of copper-tin-arsenic alloys as they would be before patination shows just how varied they can be, so whatever colour you have chosen it is likely to have been used by someone somewhere somewhen!

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2017/12/prehistoric-bling-aesthetics-crucial-factor-development-earliest-copper-alloys/117909

Imperial Dave

phew.....so my multi-hued bronze armour is fine. All those hours of angst trying to get the perfect bronze and then match it from batch to batch.....!  :-X
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Interesting, given that in the King James Bible the Hebrew 'necosheth', which covers copper and its derivatives, was translated as 'brass'.  Strictly speaking, bronze is copper+tin whereas brass is copper+zinc, but it looks as if colour-wise the KJ Bible may have been right.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Tim

Peter

Thank you.  That may well be the most useful link posted in this forum.  Book-marked and I forecast it will get a lot of views.

Regards
Tim

Anton

That's a very cheering link for me.  All my bronze falls within the 13,14 and 51, 52 spectrum.  I've a very nice pot of Artiste Antique Gold that's great for the base coat, a wash of nut brown ink and highlight.