News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Bayeux Tapestry on show in UK for the first time

Started by Imperial Dave, January 17, 2018, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Erpingham

A BM major exhibition would be impressive - plenty of context and scholarly input plus the technical skills to see it was safely curated.  Somewhere like the Tower or Westminster Abbey have the historical connections (the abbey actually being illustrated on it) but not as secure environments preservation wise I'd guess.

Anton

Yes, a BM exhibition would be great.  That said I read that a question remains as to whether the tapestry can be safely moved.

Mark G

I notice that the two MPs from the Hastings / battle area are already bidding (fighting) for it to go to their constituencies too.

I believe the ministerial answer was along the lines of ; somewhere enabling most people to view it.

Which suggests somewhere in central London or Birmingham with excellent national transport links, rather than somewhere historically appropriate.

Erpingham

Its not jumping out at me where such a delicate artefact could be displayed in the appropriate conservation conditions other than a national museum or gallery.  But, if I were a Hastings MP, I'd be in the paper demanding it come "home", along with the mayor and corporation.  Hearts v. heads.

Mark G

to be clear, there are two (2) MPs with claims.

Apparently

No idea how the other bases their case, but it's probably something daft like the baby being in a different constituent cy from the town

And so far none have raised  location they prefer for the site itself.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Mark G on January 18, 2018, 08:00:14 AM
No idea how the other bases their case, but it's probably something daft like the baby being in a different constituent cy from the town

Has the baby been adopted, then?
Duncan Head

Mark G