News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

King Arthur's Britain on BBC 2 tonight

Started by Imperial Dave, September 16, 2018, 08:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erpingham

Quote from: Holly on September 27, 2018, 08:15:56 PM
There are shades of the truth.....it's just what level we are prepared to accept

Auditioning for Donald Trump's press officer? :)

Short of some dramatic finds, we are unlikely to be able to prove or disprove Arthur's existence but we do keep collecting evidence about the historical period, so we may be able to get closer to the general social and political position.  Or perhaps not.

Erpingham

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on September 28, 2018, 08:11:51 AM
I think a good, thorough dig in the general vicinity of Colchester castle could be quite enlightening.  If possible, extensive ground radar mapping should precede any such effort.

Here is a summary of the work done on Colchester Castle already. 

aligern

The logic for an Arthur is compelling, but not tge only interpretation. The English have separate settlements that form small coastal and possibly inland kingdoms, often dikes indicate the moving frontiers of these kingdoms. There is a high likelihood of the English advance being halted in the early sixth century which leads to some colonists leaving and moving across the Channel.  There is then Gildas period of peace which is ended by a renewed English advance.  That all the small kingdoms of the English stop advancing at tge same time is significant.  The simplest , but not sole, explanation for this hiatus in the advance is that the Britons united to outnumber the English and thus dealt them a series of blows....or one large blow to a united English army, though Arthur's twelve battles legend is suggestive of repeated blows. . Again the simplest explanation is that they had a war leader who brought this about. If our reading of Gildas suggests that this is not Ambrosius then Arthur will do. That Arthur, if he existed, is not a king , or at least not a king of a Western kingdom, is highly,likely because he is not claimed by one of the later Welsh kingdoms.  To me that makes it likely that an Arthur figure would emerge from the most Romanised area of Britain where it is most likely that non regal structures survived for a while, capable of throwing up a leader without a dynasty whose base and lineage would disappear after him.
Roy

Imperial Dave

Or that if he did exist he might have been a 'non-Briton'.....?
Slingshot Editor

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: Holly on September 28, 2018, 11:53:43 AM
Or that if he did exist he might have been a 'non-Briton'.....?

Non Briton leading the Britons or just an entirely different nation having an 'Arthur' fighting the Saxons?
That seems unlikely given that what little basis there is for Arthur is linked to the Britons fighting the Saxons.
Or do you refer to non Romanized Britons or just a non Briton taking leadership in the event?

Duncan Head

Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on September 28, 2018, 03:46:45 PMNon Briton leading the Britons or just an entirely different nation having an 'Arthur' fighting the Saxons?

Perhaps a reference to the idea that Arthur had Irish connections (mentioned here).
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Duncan Head on September 28, 2018, 04:02:50 PM
Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on September 28, 2018, 03:46:45 PMNon Briton leading the Britons or just an entirely different nation having an 'Arthur' fighting the Saxons?

Perhaps a reference to the idea that Arthur had Irish connections (mentioned here).

beat me to it Duncan
Slingshot Editor

Darthvegeta800

Interesting thread I say! :)

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on September 28, 2018, 04:15:15 PM

lots and lots of stuff there for the rabbit hole ;-)
Slingshot Editor

Darthvegeta800

Quote from: Holly on September 28, 2018, 04:16:15 PM
Quote from: Darthvegeta800 on September 28, 2018, 04:15:15 PM

lots and lots of stuff there for the rabbit hole ;-)

Got a lot of ideas for my 15mm project next year.
That thread will add to the pile! :)

Imperial Dave

good news! I love it when a thread or article inspires a project :)
Slingshot Editor

Patrick Waterson

Quote from: Erpingham on September 28, 2018, 08:31:21 AM
Quote from: Patrick Waterson on September 28, 2018, 08:11:51 AM
I think a good, thorough dig in the general vicinity of Colchester castle could be quite enlightening.  If possible, extensive ground radar mapping should precede any such effort.

Here is a summary of the work done on Colchester Castle already.

Thanks for that, Anthony.  I think they do need to squeeze in some ground radar mapping in the vicinity.

I would not expect anything from the castle itself, given that it is a Norman construction reusing a lot of Roman brickwork and built on the old Temple of Claudius.  But the area around the castle/Temple of Claudius would presumably have been the nerve centre of Roman and even post-Roman Colchester, so if there is any thing interesting to find from the period it should be around there.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill