News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Sassanid (or Sasanian) Persian Armies

Started by Patrick Waterson, July 16, 2012, 09:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Waterson

For the discerning post-Parthian Persian player.
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Duncan Head

There is an interesting 6th-7th century Sasanian textile fragment here (first illustration). I would be interested to hear what our Sasanophiles make of it.

The central mounted figure may be a king, and must at least be someone of importance - judging simply from his relative size.

The smaller chap at left is holding a sort of sunburst device positioned over a pair of wings, which reminds me of one of the Sasanian standards in the Shah's Persepolis parade - second infantry figure - though it's probably not close enough to be the actual inspiration for that figure.

The even smaller chap at right has a bow, and may be an infantry archer.

Thoughts?

Another interesting piece of late-ish Sasanian artwork is in this pdf - the King as a mailed horse-archer, a rare piece of matching evidence for Maurikios' description of armoured cavalry armed only with bow.
Duncan Head

Erpingham

By no means a Sasanophile, I found the image interesting.  I'm not sure of the composition though.  The king figure appears from his pose to be riding.  If so, the standard bearer appears to be standing on the back of the animal.  There is a similar two man crew on a camel in one of the other illustrations, but I can't see how you would fit a camels head in the gap in the composition.  Could they be on an elephant?  In which case, what is the small archer figure at the front doing?  Could the standard be a sunshade (which could potentially have a similar symbolic function)?

tadamson

First guess would be a hunting scene.  Large image of king riding.  Standard bearer smaller scale and the archer, almost certainly a mounted noble and probably one of several in the complete picture.
Irritatingly the second textile failed to load, dumping me into the Met's 'cant find it' page.

Tom..

Duncan Head

That's annoying - I tested it several times. I hate pdf links :-(

Try this - it works for me on the preview, anyway
Duncan Head

Erpingham

Doubtless Tom is right about the original textile, though the composition is odd.  It is not clear where the horse ends and the ground on which the standard bearer stands begins.  Also, presumably, we have a head down horse.

On the second image I was reminded by of an image from my youth - an image of "Chosroes II" in Saxtorph's Warriors and Weapons of Early Times (no.180).  This must have come from a vey similar original.

tadamson

Thanks Duncan I can see the PDF, and recognise it!  Some years ago I saw this at the Met (in a special exhibition I think) and was rude enough to ask the assistant curator why it was a reversed image (or I suppose a left handed prince).  He was not amused...

Tom..

Duncan Head

I'd assumed one of a symmetrical pair, but on reflection I don't know if the Sasanians go in for that sort of thing.
Duncan Head

tadamson

aligern

He's got a little round hat, a little round hat!

Roy

Duncan Head

Rounded in profile, but perhaps not globular! Maybe "helmet-shaped".
Duncan Head

Duncan Head

There's an interesting 2016 article on a Sasanian helmet at http://cejsh.icm.edu.pl/cejsh/element/bwmeta1.element.desklight-fc5c0486-48ed-403d-9571-ab48d4dd3268/c/Kubik_1409.pdf. Quite wide-ranging in the parallels and comparisons considered.
Duncan Head

DougM

Quote from: Duncan Head on January 30, 2017, 02:19:54 PM
There's an interesting 2016 article on a Sasanian helmet at http://cejsh.icm.edu.pl/cejsh/element/bwmeta1.element.desklight-fc5c0486-48ed-403d-9571-ab48d4dd3268/c/Kubik_1409.pdf. Quite wide-ranging in the parallels and comparisons considered.

Thanks Duncan, I hadn't seen that one before. Somewhat reminiscent of the spikier 'chaos' helmets beloved of some fantasy manufacturers...
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: DougM on February 01, 2017, 09:30:10 AM
Thanks Duncan, I hadn't seen that one before. Somewhat reminiscent of the spikier 'chaos' helmets beloved of some fantasy manufacturers...
I think my next HOTT army shall be Chaos Sassanids.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 9 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

DougM

Quote from: Andreas Johansson on February 01, 2017, 09:35:42 AM
Quote from: DougM on February 01, 2017, 09:30:10 AM
I think my next HOTT army shall be Chaos Sassanids.

Maybe take inspiration from the Persians in '300'. :-)
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/