News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

26th Dynasty fortress discovered in Sinai

Started by Duncan Head, May 22, 2019, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Johansson

"[O]ne of the oldest fortresses to be discovered"?  I'm pretty sure the preceding 25 dynasties built a few ...

(Unless you're of a Watersonian conviction, the 26th dynasty is roughly at the midpoint between Narmer and Al-Sisi.)
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 88 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 9 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

Patrick Waterson

It will be interesting to follow this, because a single 'faience amulet bearing the name of Psamshek' in one of the houses is not a secure basis - or even any sort of basis - for dating the fortress except as a possible terminus ante quem.  Even scarabs are considered 'unreliable' for dating purposes unless found in bulk.

I am guessing that the ongoing excavation will reveal a gradually increasing amount of 19th Dynasty material.  They may even find something of Amenmesse in the foundation deposits (if they ever get that far).  We shall wait and see. ;)
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill

Jim Webster

Quote from: Patrick Waterson on May 22, 2019, 06:44:51 PM
It will be interesting to follow this, because a single 'faience amulet bearing the name of Psamshek' in one of the houses is not a secure basis - or even any sort of basis - for dating the fortress except as a possible terminus ante quem.  Even scarabs are considered 'unreliable' for dating purposes unless found in bulk.

I am guessing that the ongoing excavation will reveal a gradually increasing amount of 19th Dynasty material.  They may even find something of Amenmesse in the foundation deposits (if they ever get that far).  We shall wait and see. ;)

I tend to agree, all the faience proves is that the level at which you found it cannot be earlier than Psamshek