News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Light Infantry at Thapsus

Started by bigredbat, June 19, 2019, 09:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigredbat

Hi chaps,

I'm working on a revised scenario for Thapsus, inspired in part by Aaron's recent piece in Slingshot. I'm a bit stuck on how to represent the light infantry that supported Caesar's cavalry on the wings.  Can I safely assume these are legionaries serving as lights (as at Pharsalus)? If so, how might they have been equipped- perhaps just javelins, sword, helmet and a round shield?

Thanks, Simon

Duncan Head

Have a look at African War 20:

QuoteMeantime Caesar fortified his camp with much greater care, reinforced the guards, and threw up two entrenchments; one from Ruspina quite to the sea, the other from his camp to the sea likewise, to secure the communication, and receive supplies without danger. He landed a great number darts and military engines, armed part of the mariners, Gauls, Rhodians, and others, that after the example of the enemy he might have a number of light-armed troops to intermix with his cavalry. He likewise strengthened his army with a great number of Syrian and Iturean archers whom he drew from the fleet into his camp: for he understood that within three days Scipio was expected to unite his forces to Labienus and Petreius

This is some time before the battle, but presumably the same men. It looks as if his light-armed may have been an improvised force of armed sailors. But their shields and other equipment may have been issued, and hence reasonably uniform.
Duncan Head

bigredbat

Hi Duncan,

Thanks very much- I'd missed the earlier reference to the lights supporting the cavalry at Ruspina, I suppose that helps to explain how the few cavalry he had there managed to hold on so well.

Regarding equipment; montefortino and a round shield with a spine, perhaps?

Best, Simon

Duncan Head

Or an early Coolus helmet? Round shields yes, ribs optional - perhaps going out of fashion at this time.
Duncan Head

bigredbat

Justin Swanton

Quote from: Duncan Head on June 19, 2019, 09:57:34 AM
Or an early Coolus helmet? Round shields yes, ribs optional - perhaps going out of fashion at this time.

Is the shield of Kasr El-Harit from Caesar's time? It has a rib.

Duncan Head

Quote from: Justin Swanton on June 20, 2019, 09:21:06 AM
Quote from: Duncan Head on June 19, 2019, 09:57:34 AM

Is the shield of Kasr El-Harit from Caesar's time? It has a rib.
I don't think it's very firmly dated; I suspect it's earlier than Caesar, but can't be sure.
Duncan Head