News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Fatimid Sudanese

Started by Swampster, August 21, 2019, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

I've thought for a while about adding some Sudanese to my existing troops to put together a Fatimid army. One thing which puts me off a bit is that the various ones available in 15mm are a bit dull.
While rummaging for other stuff, I found a bag of 'Fuzzy wuzzy' swordsman. Would they be at all suitable?

nikgaukroger

"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Duncan Head

They're a bit too wild and unclad, I'd have thought. Possibly for the Zanj swordsmen who are mentioned in one parade, but those are probably more likely to have been just more regulars.
Duncan Head

nikgaukroger

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 21, 2019, 08:46:15 AM
They're a bit too wild and unclad, I'd have thought.

Indeed. The "Sudanese" - IIRC the Arabic is "sudani" which basically just means black soldiers in tis context, although most will have come from modern Sudan - were the 'abid al-shira (purchased slaves) who would have been dressed and equipped by the state, and there is no reason to think they looked anything out of the ordinary from what I understand. Certainly not "wild" fuzzy wuzzy types.
"The Roman Empire was not murdered and nor did it die a natural death; it accidentally committed suicide."

Swampster

A shame, as they are interesting figures, but I feared that would be the case.
Thanks anyway.

aligern

Hmmmm , there's an interesting depiction from Norman Sicily of a negro fighting a Caucasian, the black warrior has a sword and round shield and the Caucasian a large kite shield. There are also figures in the cloister of Monreale cathedral that have two such negros, with round shields fighting with clubs. All the three figures are wearing wrap around skirts/ kilts abd are bare chested. Its not a perfect match fir Hadendowah, but its near enough.
Riy

Duncan Head

And they are all probably from North African or Sicilian armies, rather than Fatimid Egyptian. So do you fancy doing EMNA instead of Fatimid, Peter?
Duncan Head

Swampster

Quote from: Duncan Head on August 21, 2019, 08:19:32 PM
And they are all probably from North African or Sicilian armies, rather than Fatimid Egyptian. So do you fancy doing EMNA instead of Fatimid, Peter?
I have stuff for EMNA and/or Islamic Berber partly done already, so they could find a home there.
Thanks.