News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

The Attalid Victory at Magnesia on a Lost Plaque from Pergamon

Started by davidb, October 24, 2019, 05:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampster

I think it was mentioned during a previous thread on Magnesia. I also seem to remember that it was used as possible evidence for standards being carried in a phalanx, though the banner seems to without a bearer.

I'd have identified 6 and 11 as Galatians rather than Romans. 9 is certainly on the winning side, though not exactly a typical representation of a Roman. Perhaps this is accurate (though IIRC Magnesia probably happened early enough in the year for him to feel a bit parky without his vest on). It could be that the creator didn't know what Romans wore or chose to make them look like this for whatever reason. It could also be an error by whoever (Conze?) produced the drawing c.1913.
Could it instead be a Pergamene peltast after flinging his javelins at the scythed chariots? That would put him in the thureophoroi bracket rather than the earlier 'true' peltast.

Duncan Head

We have also cited it in discussions of pike-holding postures, and so forth.

6 could be almost anyone, you can't see very much of him. 11 has a Montefortino helmet, very well depicted on such a small-scale drawing, which doesn't rule out Galatian but makes Roman a bit more likely. Would Pergamene artisans use "heroic nudity" for their Italian allies? 9's waisted sword-blade says Roman to me, and the vertical lines above his head could be Roman helmet-feathers. I'm not sure he is even meant to be shirtless - could be a detail from a muscle cuirass, or even as Peter suggests an error; Taylor thinks it's a "belted tunic", which it could be.

Still not convinced it represents Magnesia rather than Pydna, though.
Duncan Head