News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Graduate Student Discovers One of World’s Oldest Swords in Mislabeled Monastery

Started by Imperial Dave, March 16, 2020, 11:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Interesting, beautiful, and dangerous on so many levels...

I also liked the sword.

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

Mick Hession

Interesting. I was unaware that early bronze alloys used arsenic. The bronze smith guild clearly didn't have to worry about pensions for retired members,

Cheers
Mick

Imperial Dave

Quote from: Mick Hession on March 17, 2020, 10:47:40 AM
Interesting. I was unaware that early bronze alloys used arsenic. The bronze smith guild clearly didn't have to worry about pensions for retired members,

Cheers
Mick

although presumably they were well protected when visiting certain disreputable establishments....? 
Slingshot Editor

Andreas Johansson

Quote from: Mick Hession on March 17, 2020, 10:47:40 AM
Interesting. I was unaware that early bronze alloys used arsenic. The bronze smith guild clearly didn't have to worry about pensions for retired members
Arsenical bronzes were very common in the Early and Middle Bronze Ages, and in some places, like Egypt, remained in use long into the Iron Age. In the northern Andean region they remained in use right up to the Spanish conquest.

It's apparently the case that cultures that develop their metallurgy autonomously always hit on arsenical bronze before tin bronze.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 120 infantry, 44 cavalry, 0 chariots, 12 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other