News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Ancient Anti-Roman ‘Minefield’ Discovered In Denmark

Started by Imperial Dave, May 10, 2020, 10:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

Interesting. Of course just because the work apparently dates from the Roman era doesn't mean that the invaders it was designed to deter were Romans. Was there any point at which the chief of a Danish island would reasonably feel the need to devote considerable resources to opposing a Roman attack? Perhaps the naval expedition that reached the "Cimbri" in 5 BC; but it might be more likely that the intent was to deter local enemies.   
Duncan Head

Imperial Dave

agreed. There isnt enough detail or clear cut indication that it had to be Roman invaders. I am pretty sure it would work for more local scoundrels as well...
Slingshot Editor

Erpingham

It's quite imaginative.  I wonder where the idea of a Roman invasion of Lolland comes from?  Also, the special forces units of Danish horse archers are interesting - I wonder what the evidence for those is?  And for those wondering about alternative enemies and tactics, the sketch at the top seems to show a small Germanic war party falling into hidden water filled pits.

If we take Roman examples of these hole-belts, they aren't in the middle of nowhere - they slow rushes at a camp not operational movement.  In fact, how much would it slow movement of a raiding force to pass through one of these - minutes?  I think they fit better as a pre-prepared defensive line at a muster point.  Unlike a wall, their porous nature would have enabled the local to pass through in dribs and drabs in peace time and the local defence force could deploy behind them at times of emergency, perhaps warned by mobile scouts placed ahead of the barrier.  Disappointingly prosaic, compared with special forces in the morning mist.

Imperial Dave

it just has enough interest to hold your attention though. More info required!
Slingshot Editor