News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Roman military canteen

Started by Duncan Head, May 22, 2020, 09:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

An intact iron and copper-alloy canteen of military type found in a 4th-century site in Gaul - http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/58325
Duncan Head

Tim

Wow! New to me. Sets off various trains of thought... all under the heading ritual.

Chuck the Grey

Very interesting. I'm not sure by what they author means by a "padlock." I enlarged the three photos in the article and I only saw what might have been a "leash" to prevent the stopper from being lost, or perhaps a tie down device to keep the stopper from working lose and spilling contents.

Since legionaries had the cost of their equipment deducted from pay or pay for it out of pocket, I was wondering how much a canteen would cost. It doesn't seem to be cheap considering its construction and materials. As a temple offering, it could be a significant expense for a soldier. Perhaps as a prayer for protection before a campaign, or as a thanksgiving offering after a campaign.