News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Irish - 1170 AD query

Started by Martin Smith, June 15, 2020, 06:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Smith

Elsewhere, a gamer was asking for recommendations for Irish upper class troops (28mm I think)....
He wrote:

" I'm looking to make a dark ages Irish army, for use in the Norman invasion in 1170. I'm going to use the Wargames Atlantic Irish for use as the basic troops; but I'm unsure what to use for 'elite' troops. Would footsore miniatures' Fianna be appropriate? Or have the Irish nobility begun to wear heavier armour by this point and therefore be equipped perhaps more like the Norse, in chain mail, like some kind of proto-galloglass? In which case, could I use (for example) victrix Vikings or huscarls? Or should I go straight for the Antediluvian miniatures Galloglass? So confused! Thanks in advance for the help"

Any thoughts, gents? Not an area I have much knowledge on, but it stirred my jnterest.
Martin
u444

Mick Hession

Literary sources indicate that mail was rare and really only worn by kings and higher nobles though that may be overstated somewhat to comply with a literary convention that Irish warriors (and language) are supple and flexible in contrast to metallic, harsh-sounding Norse. Norman sources tend to agree that the Irish didn't wear armour, and they were not bound by the same literary convention. That said, there is one mention in a 12th century saga to a contingent of warriors where half wore mail.

I am not familiar with 28mm ranges but based on the website Footsore Fianna look over-armoured to me. Gripping Beast Fianna are better, though still not ideal. Avoid galloglass - aketons were not worn as early as 1170.

Cheers
Mick

Martin Smith

Thanks Mick....I was hoping you'd reply, as I know it's your 'field' ✔️✔️....I'll pass that on.
Martin
u444

Duncan Head

Crusader Miniatures also have a couple of packs of unarmoured Irish nobles; they look a bit plain, but perhaps they'd do?
Duncan Head

Martin Smith

Quote from: Duncan Head on June 15, 2020, 09:27:15 AM
Crusader Miniatures also have a couple of packs of unarmoured Irish nobles; they look a bit plain, but perhaps they'd do?

Thanks Duncan
Martin
u444

Mick Hession

Yes, they have the right look

Cheers
Mick

Nick Harbud

...particularly the guy holding his opponent's recently severed head?

Quite reminds one of Saturday evenings in certain Portsmouth pubs.  :'(
Nick Harbud

Jim Webster

Quote from: NickHarbud on June 15, 2020, 03:25:55 PM
...particularly the guy holding his opponent's recently severed head?

Quite reminds one of Saturday evenings in certain Portsmouth pubs.  :'(

I loved the expression on the face of the guy with the upright spear

Martin Smith

Thanks all for the replies - have passed them on, with a mention of the SoA 👍🏼
Martin
u444