News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Who produced the weapons for the Roman army

Started by Jim Webster, June 18, 2020, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imperial Dave

interestingly I was reading about the shifting sands of late roman armour - ie how widespread was it. Surely this also ties in with the gradual decline of centralised issue and thus reliant on depots and local fabricae
Slingshot Editor

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on July 04, 2020, 05:59:18 PM
So apart from Romans being painted wearing socks and sandals and knotted hankies under their various forms of helmets and wearing different shades of tunic, has this discussion affected any other battlefield attribute? I can see how it might influence some campaign mechanics if you are tracking equipment levels to a fine degree of detail.

In theory this is something all ancient armies would have to cope with. I've often pondered Hannibal's army in Italy. We know that Numidians 'married' local women, and they would be the ones who made their clothes for them. So styles would change. Armies would pick up clothes as they went along, prisoners didn't need them. Living off the land would cover more than just food  8)

Imperial Dave

undoubtedly Jim and the further afield the army went, the more kaleidoscopic the kit and weapons would ultimately become especially in climates different form the norm
Slingshot Editor

DougM

So apart from Romans being painted wearing socks and sandals and knotted hankies under their various forms of helmets and wearing different shades of tunic, has this discussion affected any other battlefield attribute? I can see how it might influence some campaign mechanics if you are tracking equipment levels to a fine degree of detail.

Shoosh.. I have some Victrix figures to convert for campaigns in Britain (which is a but cheeky really, as it was actually more like campaigns in England and Wales).
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Imperial Dave

just use any figure with a 'proper' unit shield design and bingo you're there...semi-native Romans
Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Ok, I thought I lost the thread somewhere around the woolly socks (Darn it! I didn't mean to make that pun).

Yes the logistics of putting and keeping a large army in the field is an issue, even with state run organisations. For irregular armies (if such things existed), especially those with lots of horses, it must have been even more difficult.
David

Andreas Johansson

So apart from Romans being painted wearing socks and sandals and knotted hankies under their various forms of helmets and wearing different shades of tunic, has this discussion affected any other battlefield attribute?
In a sufficiently Watersonian set, the wearing of socks will render the Wascally Womans immune to cold weather penalties.
Lead Mountain 2024
Acquired: 44 infantry, 16 cavalry, 0 chariots, 5 other
Finished: 24 infantry, 0 cavalry, 0 chariots, 1 other

DougM

I see. So nomad horsemen in dbmm should have pony socks to avoid the hungry horses rule? 10 AP for socks as a stratagem.
"Let the great gods Mithra and Ahura help us, when the swords are loudly clashing, when the nostrils of the horses are a tremble,...  when the strings of the bows are whistling and sending off sharp arrows."  http://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

Erpingham

QuoteOk, I thought I lost the thread somewhere around the woolly socks (Darn it! I didn't mean to make that pun).
Nice.  I think you get bonus points for a double pun :)

dwkay57

"The supply and standardization of Roman military equipment in the first and second centuries AD" by Kevin Stover

"The state factories (fabricae) during the time of tetrarchy" by Piotr Letki

The above have just popped up on my academia "things you might want to read" email. Haven't looked at them yet but strangely seemed relevant to this thread.
David

Jim Webster

Quote from: dwkay57 on July 29, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
"The supply and standardization of Roman military equipment in the first and second centuries AD" by Kevin Stover

Yes this is the one I quoted bits from in message 9 of the thread, well worth a read

Quote from: dwkay57 on July 29, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
"The state factories (fabricae) during the time of tetrarchy" by Piotr Letki

The above have just popped up on my academia "things you might want to read" email. Haven't looked at them yet but strangely seemed relevant to this thread.

Yes the second one is worth reading but by definition is mainly relevant to the later period

Imperial Dave

Slingshot Editor

dwkay57

Ah that is why they seemed relevant! I thought they were familiar.

Did read some of the first piece and it was interesting, but lacked the time to finish it off.

David