News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Indian elephants in non-Indian armies

Started by Ade G, July 10, 2020, 09:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ade G

I have been looking to use some of the small groups of painted Hellenistic figures I have into a coherent army. I have two nice Indian elephants with Indian crews and some Xystophoroi cavalry plus lots of pelatsts and skirmishers. What armies could the Indian elephants be used in? I sort of run out of ideas after Kushan and Baktrian...

Duncan Head

Eumenes' army at Paraitakene with the elephants Eudamos brought from India?
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

How about the army of Seleucus with the Elephants he brought from India?

Nick Harbud

Swap the crews out and use them for the Southern Han elephant corps.

Failing that, sundry manufacturers produce separate elephant furniture that can be used to convert elephants between different nationalities/periods.
Nick Harbud

simonw

Seleucids (reputedly; I don't know the source) at first just had a single pikeman or a couple of pikemen astride so this is easily fixed by swopping the Indian crew apart from the Mahout. Otherwise, the model can stay just the same.

Ade G

All good ideas, thanks for taking the time - the elephant and crew are already painted and based so don't want to muck them about - Eumenes is a great shout as I like him and the campaigns. Fits the sort of "generic" look I am aiming for

Mark G

There is also a Parthian army that had an Indian component.

Surenas is the name springing to mind, but I may have that wrong.

And light cab armies with cat and elephants are likely to be much less figured than any other.

And Bactrian Greek types too perhaps.

Jim Webster

Quote from: Mark G on July 12, 2020, 03:34:57 PM

And light cab armies with cat and elephants are likely to be much less figured than any other.

Indo-Parthian

They appear as Suren Indo-Parthian in the DBMM Parthian army list

Ade G

Quote from: Jim Webster on July 12, 2020, 05:05:31 PM
Quote from: Mark G on July 12, 2020, 03:34:57 PM

Indo-Parthian

They appear as Suren Indo-Parthian in the DBMM Parthian army list

I used the Suren Indo-Parthian under DBM! I play ADLG at the moment and Kushan is interesting if not world-beating. I had not considered Alexandrian Imperial until now...