News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

Greek peltasts

Started by shaun holdsworth, July 18, 2020, 03:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Swanton

Quote from: simonw on July 26, 2020, 10:13:48 AM
Justin,

I'm afraid that I don't agree. I interpret he 'Ekdromoi' role for 'runners out' from the ranks to have been  a predefined role for the 'youngest and fittest' in the ranks (maybe one per file or 8) and with their equipment adjusted accordingly. It was never the case as far as I can see that the whole of a Spartan (or any other Hoplite) formation suddenly broke ranks and changed from Phalanx into an anti-skirmisher (peltast) role and then reformed again after chasing any enemy skirmishers off.

If we were to go that way, then we would have to re-classify Spartans as 'close' order LMI in WRG 6th terms (i.e. 4 figs/60mm base).

Cheers
Simon

Sure. I wasn't thinking of an entire Spartan mora running off after enemy skirmishers, only its 'youngest and fittest 'as you describe. I can't remember the reference off-hand, but isn't there mention somewhere of Spartan hoplites dumping their gear before chasing after psiloi? That would imply that every Spartan in a mora was a fully-equipped hoplitea to begin with.

simonw

Justin,
That's how I interpret it as well. With respect to the 'dumping of equipment' I'm not sure how that would have occurred but as I see it, it may simply have been the dropping of the long spear and the 'pursuit' of the skirmishers with sidearms and perhaps a javelin (or two). 'Full equipment' might have sometimes been as little as hoplon and spear (and maybe Pilos).
Cheers
Simon