News:

Welcome to the SoA Forum.  You are welcome to browse through and contribute to the Forums listed below.

Main Menu

‘Invasion’ of ancient Egypt may have actually been immigrant uprising

Started by Jim Webster, July 19, 2020, 05:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan Head

This is hardly a new theory, is it? The dental evidence is new, but its value as evidence for the origin of the Hyksos seems to be nil; OK there were migrants there, so prove they had anything to do with the "Rulers of foreign countries".
Duncan Head

Jim Webster

Quote from: Duncan Head on July 19, 2020, 06:33:11 PM
This is hardly a new theory, is it? The dental evidence is new, but its value as evidence for the origin of the Hyksos seems to be nil; OK there were migrants there, so prove they had anything to do with the "Rulers of foreign countries".

It's not an area I've followed too closely but even I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be evidence for 'pre-conquest of Egypt' Hyksos which you'd expect if they were powerful enough to invade

stevenneate

Manfred Bietak has been digging (mainly Avaris) and writing about the Hyksos for yonks (that's like an era, but shorter).  He doesn't go for the foreign invaders bit either and suggests that the evidence was they were already there, possibly coming as sea-borne traders from Byblos and then were supplemented by all the usual culprits as they gained success in securing Avaris and all the port access that entailed, as well as the northern roads to Palestine.  In the confusion of the period with Egypt split apart, successful trade options and booty are powerful draw cards. 

Jim Webster

Quote from: stevenneate on July 22, 2020, 01:56:42 PM
Manfred Bietak has been digging (mainly Avaris) and writing about the Hyksos for yonks (that's like an era, but shorter).  He doesn't go for the foreign invaders bit either and suggests that the evidence was they were already there, possibly coming as sea-borne traders from Byblos and then were supplemented by all the usual culprits as they gained success in securing Avaris and all the port access that entailed, as well as the northern roads to Palestine.  In the confusion of the period with Egypt split apart, successful trade options and booty are powerful draw cards.

That has, 'fascinating wargames campaign' written all over it  8)

stevenneate

Been working on it.  My plan is to set it up as a series of linked games. Win or loss will add some bonus or deficit to the next. Troops are being rebased for the conflict. Kind of like recruiting!

Jim Webster

Quote from: stevenneate on July 28, 2020, 02:23:49 PM
Been working on it.  My plan is to set it up as a series of linked games. Win or loss will add some bonus or deficit to the next. Troops are being rebased for the conflict. Kind of like recruiting!

sounds fun  8)